Many people love Halwa but don’t make it at home as they feel its very difficult, time consuming and are doubtful about the end result. I too was sailing in the boat in the initial years of marriage and still find it tough making few halwas. Today i have for you all one great easy peasy Halwa that so delicious,easy n quickie to make,beginner’s delight and the end result is just awesome.. jelly like texture with crunchiness of nuts in between. I’m speaking of “Corn Flour Halwa” , popularly known as ” Karachi Halwa / Bombay Halwa / Sohan Halwa “. I’m sure most of you have seen or relished this halwa at sweet shops.This halwa is common in Diwali sweet gift boxes.
I had made these cornflour halwa last diwali and gave a few to my relatives also. Everyone loved it a lot and have been asking for recipe since then. The best part of this halwa is ..it doesn’t call for more ghee and making it takes max just 15-20 mins max… Don’t you agree with me ??? …I know you will once you try….Here goes the recipe…
you may also check other halwa recipes like papaya halwa,carrot halwa, bottle gourd halwa etc
- 1/2 cup corn flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups Sugar
- 1 cup + 1 and 1/2 cups Water
- 2 - 3 tbsp Ghee
- 1/4 cups Cashew nuts, chopped finely
- pinch Cardamom, powder
- Take cornflour in a mixing bowl.
- Add 1 and 1/2 cups of water and food color .Then whisk it well to avoid lumps .Keep aside.
- Add about 1 tbsp of ghee in a wide thick pan or kadai. Roast nuts.When they are golden brown in color,remove and keep aside.
- In the same kadai, take sugar and add 1 cup of water.Keep the flame on medium and let the sugar dissolve .
- Let the sugar syrup boil and become slightly thick. Sugar string consistency is not important here but make sure the syrup is sticky.
- Add the cornflour mixture to the sugar syrup,stir continuously to avoid lumps while adding.Keep stirring in low flame.
- After sometime you will observe that the mixure will start thickening and becoming glossy.Add ghee and mix well.Keep stirring.
- Once the mixture starts leaving the surface and becomes a single lump , its done. Add cashew nuts and cardamom powder.Give a mix.
- Transfer to the greased plate .Using a spatula spread it evenly to get desired thickness. smoothen the surface using the base of a greased cup.
- Allow it to set for atleast an hour then cut into squares.
- Enjoy cornflour halwa warm / normal temperature / col.Stays fresh for 4-5 days if refrigerated.
- You can use any food color of your choice orange,yellow,green etc.
- you can either do with cornflour/ flavored / mix both . i have mixed little custard powder in the above as i had to empty off my custard powder stock.
- You can flavor it with some essence too.
Sony PDecember 2, 2014 at 5:52 am
Looks rich and yummy !
Ree KasirajhDecember 2, 2014 at 5:55 am
Thats very yummy !!!Love the vibrant colour!!
Beulah ArunDecember 2, 2014 at 7:10 am
Looks very delicious!
Poornima hegdeDecember 2, 2014 at 7:55 am
This was my favorite when I was a kid.. Looks so yummy
KurinjiDecember 2, 2014 at 9:43 am
Farin AhmedDecember 2, 2014 at 9:57 am
Awesome Halwa!!! Love the color
Meena KumarDecember 2, 2014 at 3:45 pm
Oh that full plate with the halwa spread evenly tells me to jump in right away. Looks like bakery made Smitha perfectttt!
Vibha SpDecember 3, 2014 at 5:08 am
tempting halva , nice bakground smitha
Rafeeda ARDecember 3, 2014 at 7:16 am
I have been wanting to make this for so long… that looks so yum… and love the pics…
Shweta AgrawalDecember 3, 2014 at 10:25 am
This is such a flavorful dish, would love to try it soon 🙂
MonuTeena RecipesPassionDecember 4, 2014 at 6:30 am
you know what here its called Karachi halwa .. and i just love it 🙂 infact pak and india were the same nations.. years ago 🙂 i shall try this version yummy
Pooja SOctober 19, 2015 at 7:10 am
Veda YanduriOctober 19, 2015 at 8:59 am
It’s so surprising that it takes such less ghee
PurnimaOctober 20, 2015 at 2:42 pm
Wow wow wow
Smruti ShahFebruary 15, 2016 at 8:21 pm
Hi Smitha. I tried this Halwa for my blog and it turned out amazing. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Here is my version of it: http://herbivorecucina.blogspot.com/2016/02/corn-flour-halva-bombay-halwa.html
Shah HameedSeptember 25, 2016 at 1:19 pm
Shah HameedSeptember 25, 2016 at 1:20 pm
Shah HameedSeptember 25, 2016 at 1:21 pm
ShereenJuly 2, 2019 at 9:46 pm
I tried…it came out so well ..Thank you ma’am ✌