After a long time i am posting a sweet recipe here. ” 7 cup Burfi / Seven Cup Sweet ” is one of the most popular and commonest sweet one prepares for diwali in South India . Guess what … I too had prepared it and clicked it last Diwali itself. Haha….Don’t know why for some reasons the poor guy was sitting in drafts since then and today finally got a chance to feature here. Make this delicious and easy burfi this Holi and enjoy this sweet treat with your friends and relatives…
This sweet is called 7 cup burfi as the total no of cups of all the ingredients used for making the sweet sums to 7 . The authentic recipe calls for 1 cup besan + 1 cup coconut + 1 cup milk + 1 cup ghee + 3 cups sugar . For me , this proprtion yields too sweet burfi . So i reduce the sugar quantity . You can either follow my proportions or try the typical one and see which you like. You can use any cup for measurement but see to it that all the ingredients are measured in the same cup . Seven Cup Barfi is probably one of the first few sweets i had tried and succedeed during my initial years cooking. Yes it’s one of those beginners delight where the chance’s to err are very less but the final judgement of consistency is very crucial. Do try out it friends and i am sure you would agree with me… Here you go…
Check Out the Video recipe here :
7 CUP BURFI RECIPE
- 1 Cup Gram Flour Besan
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 Cup grated fresh Coconut
- 1 Cup Ghee, ( i add 3/4 cup )
- 2 Cups Sugar
- Grease a plate and keep aside.
- In a heavy bottomed pan / kadai, add a spoon of ghee . Add Besan and roast on medium flame for 3-4 mins. Be careful not to over roast or change the color of besan . We would be roasting it again later with other ingredients. Just to be on the safer side we are doing this step .Switch off.
- Next to the same kadai add all the ingredients ie. slightly roasted besan ,grated coconut ,sugar,ghee and milk . Mix well so that no lumps are formed . Once everything is mixed well , place the kadai on flame.
- Keep the flame on medium and keep stirring the mixture continuously . You will observe that once the mixture gets heated , it will start becoming thin .
- As you continue stirring , you will notice that the mixture is getting thicker , darker and bubbles are forming.Continue the stirring process so that that mixture doesn't stick to the bottom and gets burned . You need some patience and constant stirring here
- Once the mixture starts leaving the surface and becomes a single mass and its done. At this stage you will notice having difficulty mixing , which is also an indication that it's done. You will see that it has a porus texture now. A good 7 cup burfi is determined from this. Hope you are able to make it out what i mean from the picture .
- Transfer to the greased plate . Tap the tray and using a spatula spread it evenly to get desired thickness. Smoothen the surface using the base of a greased cup. When still warm, make markings of desired shape and size.
- Seven Cup Burfi is ready. Stays good without refrigeration for max 8-10 days.
- Good quality besan plays a very crucial part in this recipe. If the besan is not good, it may not take in the required ghee / might turn little bitter / might turn a bit hard .
- Typically 7 cup = 1 cup besan + 1 cup coconut + 1 cup milk + 1 cup ghee + 3 cups sugar . But i reduce both ghee and sugar quantity .
- You can use any cup for measurement but see to it that all the ingredients are measured in the same cup
- If you want you can add little cardamom powder .
marudhus kitchenFebruary 27, 2015 at 3:51 pm
ChitraFebruary 27, 2015 at 4:29 pm
Its in my try list.U have made it so well smitha 🙂
Vibha SpFebruary 27, 2015 at 4:34 pm
well made yummy sweets , i like very much
Ree KasirajhFebruary 28, 2015 at 10:36 am
Nicely made and you explained it so good!
Sathya PriyaFebruary 28, 2015 at 1:28 pm
They really look delicious.I literally want to have some sweets right now.
Rafeeda ARMarch 1, 2015 at 6:20 am
Since you mentioned that the chance to err is less, I am bookmarking this! 😉
GloriaMarch 2, 2015 at 5:07 pm
burfi looks too delicious…I can never say no for sweets..feel like having it right away
Pavithra R ShettyMarch 4, 2015 at 9:49 pm
Turned out really yummy, melts in mouth. But it became bit hard.
jayee pawarMarch 12, 2015 at 11:13 am
Turned out really yummy it’s melting in mouth my family just loved it thank you so much smitha
Smitha KallurayaMarch 14, 2015 at 11:30 am
Thx Jayee Pawar for trying n glad to know that you likd it
max denMay 17, 2015 at 4:05 am
SowmyaOctober 10, 2015 at 4:43 am
Looks yummmmmm! I am going to try this for Navarathri. Thanks Smitha for sharing with us!
ManishaNovember 5, 2015 at 7:06 am
Hey Smitha.. Lovely recipes… Do you recommend any particular brand of besan here? What have you used?
Smitha KallurayaNovember 5, 2015 at 5:57 pm
Thx manisha …. nothing perticular .. but yes freshness is important
Varsha MadhukarNovember 6, 2015 at 10:56 am
Smitha ma’am, I tried 7 cups burfi. It came out good. Thank you so much again ☺
Smitha KallurayaNovember 6, 2015 at 1:55 pm
thx Varsha ….
DhivyaDecember 8, 2015 at 12:57 am
Hi Smitha,A few clarifications with this… Can we add dessicated dried coconut instead of fresh ones.
Smitha KallurayaDecember 14, 2015 at 3:26 pm
ya u can .. but fresh one tastes good
ramya adabalaJanuary 24, 2016 at 4:27 am
Smitha ma’am, I tried 7 cups sweet following your recipe. It came out sooo well n this is the very first time I made a sweet as I’m in my initial days of learning cooking.I prepared the sweet when no one is at home and my family really wondered that I could make something so yummy ! Thank you so much once again ☺
manjula raghuMarch 4, 2016 at 12:39 pm
loving all d recipes ….great job..
AnonymousApril 12, 2016 at 10:00 am
Swarnalatha SatishAugust 17, 2016 at 6:06 am
Swarnalatha Satish Narration with pictures would have been better for learners.
AkshathaJuly 2, 2017 at 3:37 am
Hello smitha, I know it’s easy receipe but I couldn’t get right this time too.. my seven cups never become hard. What might be the reason? Any clue
Smitha KallurayaJuly 5, 2017 at 1:21 pm
may be you are not waiting till it becomes a lump ..
FathimaAugust 18, 2017 at 9:44 am
Coconut milk or fresh milk?
Smitha KallurayaAugust 22, 2017 at 1:55 pm