Beetroot Rasam Recipe with step by step photos | How to do Beetroot Rasam | How to do Udupi style Beetroot Rasam
Rasam is one of the crucial categories in Indian cuisine. Among the long list of different rasam one can make .. today I have for you one easy and simple rasam made from beetroot. ” Beetroot Rasam / Beetroot Saaru ” – a great dish to tickle your taste buds and light on your tummy. Enjoy with a bowl of steamed rice or gulp it as a soup. Addition of garlic in the tempering makes the rasam more flavourful and tasty. And like any other rasam, this beetroot rasam recipe is very simple to make and tastes awesome.
check out the video recipe for beetroot rasam here :
Isn’t the pink colour of the beetroot so tempting ?? Maybe that’s the reason my kids are such a big fan of this veggie. My kids love beetroot a lot. And I’m a happy mom to include them in their diet. If you are wondering how a rasam from beetroot would be … I suggest you must try it. Try this any day and you are going to like it, it’s very simple and hardly takes any time. Has no coconut /no dal in it … A good change from the usual rasam.
Few simple points to note while making this Beetroot Rasam are as follows :
- You can make this rasam even with old stock leftover beetroot.
- Adjust tamarind, rasam powder and tamarind as per your taste.
- I usually don’t add coconut or dal… if you want you can. This rasam is usually thin types.
- Add tamarind and rasa powder little extra so that sweetness of beetroot is balanced.
Do try this, beetroot rasam recipe, I’m sure you l keep licking your fingers and make your plate clean…. So refreshing … Here you go …
You can also check few more rasam recipes like Udupi Tomato rasam, pudina rasam, jack seeds rasam,raw mango rasam etc
BEETROOT RASAM RECIPE | HOW TO MAKE UDUPI STYLE BEETROOT SAARU
- 1 small beetroot
- 2-3 nos Green Chilli
- 2-3 tsp Rasam powder
- small lemon sized Tamarind
- small piece Jaggery
- few Curry Leaves
- few sprigs Coriander leaves
- 2-3 tsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds/ Jeera
- 3-4 flakes Garlic
- a pinch of Hing /Asafoetida
- Peel off the beetroot and dice into chunks. Add about a cup of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.Let the pressure release and beetroot chunks cool a bit.
- Meanwhile, soak tamarind in water for about 10 -15 mins.
- Next blend cooked beetroot to a smooth puree.
- In a large vessel add green chilli, jaggery and tamarind water. Boil for 3-4 minutes.
- When water is boiling, add beetroot puree, salt to taste and rasam powder. Mix everything well.
- Add some water and adjust consistency as required. It will be usually thin type .
- Add Curry leaves and chopped coriander leaves. Mix well. Boil for 3-4 minutes on medium flame. Switch off.
- Meanwhile, prepare the tempering by heating up the ghee. Once the ghee is hot, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and crushed garlic flakes. Once it splutters add asafoetida. Once the tempering splutters, pour the tempering onto prepared beetroot rasam.
- Serve Beetroot rasam hot with steamed rice. enjoy with a tsp of ghee drizzled on top and some papad / palya on the side.