No veggies in stock ? No mood to dine out ? No mood to cook something elaborate ? In a rush ? Unexpected guests ? Wait wait wait .. solution for all these scenarios lies in my today’s post in the form of ” Maharashtrian Pitla / Besan Pitla / Bombay Chutney “. A quickie ,yummy and simple curry that can be put together in just 10 mins!! Pitla is a popular dish from the North Karnataka and Maharashtra region . Its also called as Zunka / junka in few regions . Made in minutes , this a perfect side dish to have with phulkas / bhakri / rice.Traditionally this side dish is served with jowar roti . I often make pitla as my hubby just loves them . Do give a try friends ..I am sure you too will love it and don’t forget to bookmark this handy recipe ..
BESAN PITLA / ZUNKA / BESAN CHUTNEY
- 1/2 cup Gram Flour /Besan
- 1 medium size onion, ; finely chopped
- 1 small tomato, ( optional ) ; finely chopped
- 4 - 6 Green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Lemon
- few Curry Leaves, -
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- Pinch Asafoetida/ hing
- 1-2 tbsp Oil
- to taste Salt
- Coriander leaves, - to garnish
- Take gram flour in a mixing bowl . Add 1 1/2 cup of water and mix well to remove any lumps .
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds.When they crackle add a pinch of asafoetida, ,curry leaves and green chilli . Saute for 1-2 mins .
- Add chopped onion, turmeric powder and salt.Saute till translucent.
- Pour besan batter on it.
- Add little water and adjust the consistency as per your requirement. Keep mixing the batter continuously. Make sure there are no lumps. Cover the pan and let it cook for 3-4 minutes. Stir in between.When mixture turns thick, switch off the heat.
- Sprinkle some chopped cilantro and lemon juice .Mix. Easy and delicious side dish is ready to serve .Enjoy it hot with phulka or sorghum roti or plain rice.
- It is better to have the pitla immediately once made as it tends to thicken as it cools down.
- You can skip tomato if you wish . I add sometimes only .
- Dont thicken the curry too much as it starts becoming thick once its cooled .
- If your pitla has become more thick you can dilute with water and heat for 2 minutes.
- If you want for extra spice , can add some red chilli powder .
- If you want you can add some crushed garlic and saute with onion .