Betel Leaves Rice Recipe | How to do Betel leaves rice Recipe | Betel leaves rice recipe with step by step photo | Vetrilai sadam recipe | Veeledele leaves Rice recipe
Today i have an easy ,simple and yummy variety rice recipe ” Betel leaves rice / Vetrilai Sadam ” . It’s very easy to make , hardly takes 15 mins if cooked rice is ready . Look wise and the way it’s made is almost similar to our chitranna / lemon rice .. but it tastes entirely different . Betel leaves gives a distict aroma and flavour . Few people might not like it immediately .. but next few spoons .. you will relish it . But make sure not to pick too mature / old betel leafs . It will give a tinge bitterness .
Beetel leaves are called as veeledele in Kannada and is a must for any auspicious occasions be it for wedding , festival , pooja etc . It is a part of tambula/ kalasa during those rituals . They are not only auspicious .. but healthy too . Betel leaves along with chuna is given to a new lactating moms everyday post lunch as it aids in milk production . They aid in digestion , good for weight loss , cold cough , oral health and diabetes too ..no wonder these heart shaped leaves are part of our age old tradition since long . Apart from consuming them in the form of paan .. one can make few dishes too out of it . If you have few left over betel leaves after a pooja or function at home .. these easy and simple recipes come handy to finish them off rather waste . I had shared earlier and today it’s time for betel leaves rasam .Its unique .. easy .. simple and full of flavors . Do give a try .. and i hope you will like this easy variety rice ..
BETEL LEAVES RICE RECIPE / VETRILAI SADAM / BETEL LEAVES RECIPE
- 1 cup Cooked Rice
- 4-5 nos Betel leaves / Paan leaves / Veeledele
- 3-4 nos Green Chilli, adjust your pref
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric /Haldi
- few sprigs Coriander leaves, Chopped
- 2-3 tsp fresh coconut, grated ( optional )
- Lemon juice , as required
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Split Black gram /Urad dal
- 1/2 tsp Chana Dal
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds/ Jeera
- 1 no Red Chilli, broken
- few Peanuts
- few Curry Leaves
- Wash rice and cook it in the proportion 1 : 2.5 ie 1 glass rice 2.5 glass water.The cooked rice grains should be separate,not mushy.Once cooked, spread the cooked rice on a wide plate.This will make the grains separate further & also helps to cool quickly.Allow the rice to cool completely.
Wash betel leaves and green chillies
In a mixer jar , grind roughly betel leaves and green chilli . This makes rice more flavorful . However if you want a mild flavor of betel leaves , skip and just fine chop leaves .
Heat oil in a thick bottom pan / kadai. When oil is hot, add mustard seeds,urad dal, channa dal and ground nuts. When mustard seeds splutter nicely, add red chilly and curry leaves. Saute.Add turmeric and salt.
Add roughly ground betel leaves & green chilli . Sauté it for 3-4 mins till raw smell goes .
Masala for betel leaves is ready .
Add cooked cooled rice to the pan.Squeeze lime . Mix them thoroughly & gently. Ensure no rice lumps are formed.Taste test. If you feel its little bland , add salt and lime .
Finally add grated coconut & chopped coriander .Mix
Betel leaves rice / veeledele chitanna is ready . Enjoy it with some papad .
- Make sure not to pick too mature / old betel leafs . It will give a tinge bitterness .
- If you want you can add few cashews / fresh green peas / chopped onion .