Today i have an easy ,simple and yummy variety rice that’s very apt when you want to cook something in a jiffy on one of those no mood to cook- lazy boring days / hurry- burry days / when you have some unexpected guests dropping in for lunch . Yes friends, if you have cooked rice ready , making ” Capsicum Masala Bath / Capsicum Rice ” hardly takes 15 minutes. This dish is also ideal for your lunch box / if you are looking ways to clear left over rice ….
To make this capsicum bath i use Vangibath Powder . I usually love to stock this handy spice powder using which we can make variety of rice items . I have already shared recipe for both vangibath powder and vangi bath , today lets learn how to do capsicum bath using this vangi bath masala . Over the time i’ll post some more masala bath recipes where vangi bath powder can be used .So are you ready to treat your taste buds with this spicy , yummy easy one pot meal …here you go ..
CAPSICUM BATH / CAPSICUM RICE
- 1 cup Cooked Rice
- 2 - 3 big capsicum
- a fistful Fresh Peas
- 1 medium size onion, ( optional )
- 1 Green Chilli, - slit
- 2 - 3 tbsps Vangibath Masala Powder, (based on your spice level )
- small amla / goosberry size Tamarind, (soaked in water)
- few drops Lemon juice
- 2 - 3 tbsps Grated dry coconut / kopra, (optional )
- to taste Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard
- 1 teaspoons Channa dal
- 1 teaspoon Urad dal
- Cashews, few ( optional )
- Curry Leaves, -few
- 1 Red Chilli, broken
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric, powder
- Wash rice and cook it in the proportion 1 : 2 / 2.5 ie 1 glass rice , 2 glass water.The cooked rice grains should be separate,not mushy.Once cooked, spread the cooked rice on a wide plate.This will make the grains separate further & also helps to cool quickly.It has to be cooled properly before using.
- Cut capsicum into medium size pieces . Chop onions into medium slices .
- In a kadai / pan heat oil . Once its hot add mustard, lentils and cashew . Once they splutter add curry leaves ,red chilli and green chilli .
- Add onion , green peas , turmeric and salt . Saute till raw smell of onion goes .
- Add chopped capsicum . Fry for 3-4 mins .
- Once the capsicum is done 50 % , add vangibath powder , tamarind juice . Mix well . Cover and cook for another 3-4 mins so that capsicum takes in flavor . No need to cook capsicum fully . Retain crunchiness.
- Finally add grated kopra if you want and give a gentle mix. Switch off after the extra moisture has evaporated.Our capsicum bath masala to be mixed with rice is ready . This masala should not be too dry or liquidy . Hope you can make out the consistency from my picture.
- Add cooked rice to the bath masala. Drizzle some lemon juice , salt and mix well . Taste test .
- Relish the tasty capsicum baath as such or with some raita . If you allow it to sit for some time after mixing , the rice would taste more tasty as it would have taken in the flavours well. If you want , you can warm it while serving .
- Don't make the rice mushy . It will spoil the taste. Add few drops of ghee / oil and few drops of lemon while making rice for pulao . This will help the rice grains to remain separate .
- Addition of onions n peas is purely optional . i sometimes add and at times don't.
- If you want you can add tomatoes too .
- Do not add too much salt and tamarind to the masala as the capsicum pieces will absorb them. thats the reason while mixing i am adding again some salt and lemon juice. this way your capsicum pieces will be perfectly spiced.
marudhus kitchenMarch 22, 2016 at 2:08 pm
very comforting recipe for kids..thanks for sharing
Rafeeda ARMarch 24, 2016 at 6:57 am
Just the type of rice I would love…
DeepsanJanuary 5, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Nice recipe.. Tried it, turned out well.
Thanks for the recipe