Snacks are an integral part of any Indian home and we have so may yummilicious Indian snacks to choose from.With the growing awareness about health, the word diet always comes in between and deep fried snacks and the likes of it are meant to be relished just once in a while.Come on ..that doesn’t mean diet / low cal snacks has to be boring and bland.As i said in my last post ,there are few stuff that you can binge on without having to think twice about your weighing scale and today’s post Chivda is one such dish . There are many types of “Chivda” that one can prepare and today i share with you all,recipe for ” Poha Chiwda / Avallaki Chiwda / Aval Mixture “. This is basically a snack made from thin variety of beaten rice .
Poha Chiwda is a very common and popular snack in Karnataka ,Maharashtra and Gujarat .Again this has many versions but keeping in mind the “DIET” word ,i am sharing a low cal version of it with no deep frying of ingredients involved.The best thing about this snack other than being low cal is …its easy to prepare,very tasty and has a great shelf life. So i normally stock up a big container of this or spicy puff rice or cornflakes chivda, in rotation as they are light,healthy and guilt free snacks. So ready to learn a tea time snack or anytime snack ?? Feel free to make your own variations but do use thin variety of poha only to make this snack.
POHA CHIVDA RECIPE
- Poha / Beaten Rice / Avalakki, thin or nylon variety
- Ground nuts
- chutney dalia
- Cashew nuts, ,split into halves (optional )
- Raisins, ( optional )
- dry coconut, small thin pieces ( optional )
- Green chilies, - slit
- Curry Leaves, - few
- Cumin seeds
- Mustard seeds
- White sesame seeds/ White til, ( optional )
- Turmeric / Haldi powder
- Red chilli powder
- to taste Salt
- Dry roast poha in a big kadai on low flame for 3-4 mins till it is crisp.Remove it to a wide dry bowl.Alternatively you can keep it in sun for few hrs or microwave too.
- Keep all the ingredients ready .
Heat oil in a kadai .Add mustard seeds.When they crackle,add cummin seeds,white sesame seeds,groundnut,cashew pieces,slit green chilli and dry coconut pieces. Fry them . When they are done add fried gram,raisins and curry leaves. Fry till raisins get bulged .
Now to the tempering ,add turmeric,salt and red chilli powder. Quickly mix .
Add roasted thin beaten rice to it .Mix well .
Keep the flame on sim and gently mix the mixture so that poha is nicely coated with all the spices and becomes crispy.Taste test .Adjust the seasoning if required . Switch off.Let it cool a bit . Add sugar and mix
That's it.. our spicy crispy poha chivda is ready to munch.Store in airtight container once it cools.Stays crisp for upto a month if handled well. Enjoy it as it is or top it with chopped onion ,tomato and coriander leaves for that extra taste.
- I am giving you the ingredients without the quantity.You can use according to your preference. There is no hard rule for the measurements in this recipe. If you like peanuts more then add it more,if you like little katta meeta then add raisins more etc.Feel free to plus or minus the ingredients of your choice.
- Always dry roast poha on a very low flame otherwise they will shrink and loose their shape.
- Don't add sugar initially along with other spices. This will make poha to shrink and loose thier shape. So always add sugar only after the chiwda is slightly cooled .
- If you want you can add few almonds too .
- Add turmeric little more than you normally use.That will give nice color. Else the chiwda will look pale.