Come summer .. thambli made from various ingredients is a must in our home . Thambli is a very traditional Karnataka dish which our grannys have been making from many years . For better understanding we can term thambli as medicated buttermilk / a type of raita / cold soup .You can prepare thambli with anything and most of them takes just 10 mins . Yes in 10 mins you have a bowlful of comforting food to cool your soul Each has its unique flavor and benefits. I had earlier shared Ginger thambli and Brahmi thambli . Today it is ” Doddapatre Tambli ( Tambuli ) / Karpooravalli Raitha / Ajwain leaf cold soup ” .The heavenly aroma that comes out of your kitchen when you are roasting these leaves along with some cumin and pepper seeds… aah..
Doddapatre / sambarballi soppu is a plant with many medicinal properties. Its known as Ajwain (Hindi),Ova (Marathi), Panikoorka (Malayalam), Karpuravalli (Tamil) ,Vamu aaku ( telugu ) in various languages . This small herb is used as home remedy for cold and cough, asthma , for indigestion ,acidity etc . The leaves are soft, thick, has a strong pungent flavor. I have a pot full of this plant in my balcony as growing them is very easy . Other than using these leaves for medicinal benifits , i also use them to make tea, rasam , chutney , bajji, chitranna and this thambli . Will surely share all the recipes here but for today its ” Ajwain leaf Thambli ” . Thambli is typically eaten at the begining of our lunch . Hot rice and tambuli is a great combination . Do try it sometime . Here goes the easy, healthy & quick recipe …
Check Out the Video recipe here :
- 10 - 12 Dodda Patre / Karpooravalli leaves/ Ajwain leaf
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds Jeera
- 3 - 5 pods Pepper
- 1 Green Chilly, ( usually they are made less spicy )
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 1 .5 cups sour curd /buttermilk
- 1 tsp Ghee
- to taste Salt
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Jeera
- 5 to 6 Curry Leaves
- 1 broken Red Chilli / Curd Chilli, ( optional )
- Clean , wash and roughly chop ajwain leaves .
- In a pan add few drops of ghee and roast jeera,pepper and green chilli.Fry for a minute.
- Add the ajwain leaves and sauté for 2-3 minutes or till the leaves turn soft and change their colour.
- Remove from the flame and keep aside to cool.
- Grind leaves -spice mix ,coconut and salt to a very smooth paste in a mixer by adding little water.
- Pour the mixture to a bowl and add buttermilk / curd .Mix well.Adjust the consistency as required. The consistency should be thin .
- Heat the remaining ghee in a small pan.Add mustard seeds and jeera ,when it splutters add curry leaves .Pour the tempering on the thambli .
- Serve doddapatre tambli in room temperature with hot steaming rice or relish as such as a drink.
Sony PApril 6, 2015 at 4:13 pm
Sounds so refreshing……… love the color!
Magees kitchenApril 7, 2015 at 5:11 am
Refreshing summer drink.
Rafeeda ARApril 7, 2015 at 8:15 am
Your recipes are always so intriguing… so traditional as well… love the color of this dish…
Vinayak sandurDecember 13, 2015 at 7:23 am
Well written and good to keep traditional foods alive for our and next gen. Keep up good work by spreading traditional taste of Karnataka.
Sridhara RamannaJuly 15, 2017 at 1:49 am
It is called Oregano in English
kumJuly 25, 2021 at 9:51 am
Oregano is different. This is called Cuban Oregano.
Also goes by the names of Mexican Mint , Indian Borage and Spanish Thyme
Praful P BabuNovember 27, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Great stuff, done in a jiffy, healthy too