I often make stuffed parathas in my home and everybody loves them.They are a great way to sneak in some vegetables in your kids meal.The options for paratha stuffing is endless.Today ill share a healthy n wholesome paratha from the state of Punjab – the delicious ” Gobi Paratha ” – translated in English as ” Cauliflower stuffed Indian flat bread “.
Many feel preparing parathas are time consuming and difficult. But there are few things which if kept in mind, rolling stuffed parathas are no mess.Ive mentioned them in the Notes below, pls see.Coming back,the recipe for gobi paratha is very simple. Just mince cauliflower spice it up with a handful of ingredients , stuff and prepare parathas the usual way.Serve them any time of the day, pack to lunch boxes and youl see stacks of these gobi parathas disappearing in no time.Hot hot parathas straight from tawa with just pickle and curd .. yumm..Wat a bliss!!This gobi paratha i had prepared almost two months back and for some reason was sitting in my draft and was pleading me to post .There are still so many such which i have to finish off posting soon..
Over to the recipe :
For The chapathi dough:
- 1 1/2 cup Wheat flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Water, as required
- Wheat flour maida, for dusting
For the Stuffing :
- 1 cauliflower, medium size
- 1 onion, medium ;finely chopped
- 1 - 2 Green Chilli, ; finely chopped
- Ginger, - small piece; finely chopped or grated
- Coriander leaves, few strings ;finely chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Haldi
- 1/2 - 1 tsp Red chilli powder, (depending on your spice level)
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala powder,
- 1/2 tsp Coriander/ Dhania powder, (optional)
- 1/4 tsp Raw mango powder / amchoor, (optional )
- 1 - 2 tsps Ghee / oil, for roasting paratha
To prepare Dough :
- In a wide mixing bowl take wheat flour, salt and ghee. Mix it with your fingers ,then add little by little water, gather to form a soft pliable dough.Knead it well.The dough should not be too tight or too loose, it should be non sticky at this stage.Allow it to rest covered for at least 30mins.
To prepare stuffing :
- Clean and cut cauliflower to big pieces.In a large saucepan / vessel boil water. When the water boils, switch off the flame and add salt and a pinch of turmeric. To that throw cauliflower and keep it closed for abt 5-10 mins.This step is always important while cooking cauliflower as it ensures 100 % cleanliness.Drain water and keep cauliflower aside.
- Grate cauliflower nicely using a grater or a food processor.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add jeera to it. When they crackle add ginger,green chillies and onion.Saute till onion turns translucent.
- Then add grated cauliflower.Mix well .Saute for 1-2 mins.
- Add haldi,salt,,red chilli powder,amchoor powder,garam masala powder and dhania powder.Mix well . Saute on medium low flame for about 5 mins till raw smell and moisture goes (It need not cook fully as it will get cooked while roasting parathas).
- Switch off.Add coriander leaves.Mix well.Thats it, stuffing for paratha is ready , allow it to cool.
To prepare Parathas:
- Make equal sized balls out of the dough.
- To dust use maida /wheat flour and roll them to thick small circles.Thick at center, thin at edges.Keep 1-2tbsp of stuffing in the center, seal it up nicely by pulling all the edges to the center as shown in the pic.Repeat the same with all the dough and stuffing.
- With the help of dry flour, roll the parathas into thick or thin discs as per your preference .
- Heat a griddle, transfer the paratha on to griddle carefully and cook them on both sides by drizzling oil/ghee/butter.Roast till both the sides has crisp golden spots.
- Soft,delicious,hot cauliflower parathas are ready to serve.Enjoy them hot with pickle and / plain curd / raita ...
- Note that the cauliflower has to be minced well else , parathas will break while rolling.
- Few people stuff cauliflower without cooking. But i prefer stir frying it a bit and later stuffing as it removes moisture.
- It is important that always the stuffing for parathas should be dry. Also the stuffing has to come to room temperature before filling. Else liquid will ooze out while rolling
- If you are a beginner, start preparing parathas with little quantity of filling and gradually increase the stuffing.
- While rolling for the first time dont give more pressure in the center as the filling is going to be placed in the center.Roll very gently and dust the flour as reqd.Let the centre be little thick and edges little thin.
- If you are not too confident managing with the stuffed version , just mixing the stuffing with wheat flour while preparing the dough and roll it as you do for roti /chapathi.
- Below is a comparatively easier method for beginners, to make mess free parathas.
- make small equal sized balls from dough. Roll out small round rotis from it.
nandoos KitchenFebruary 27, 2014 at 12:31 pm
lovely, tasty parathas.
Mitha HegdeFebruary 27, 2014 at 12:42 pm
Beautiful step by step method and a yummy cauli paratha…. 🙂
GloriaFebruary 27, 2014 at 1:47 pm
Paratha looks so delicious.. Seriously hot parathas with pickle and curds taste yumm
Sony PFebruary 27, 2014 at 1:58 pm
Healthy and tasty gobhi paratha……stuffing looks so yummy !!
Magees kitchenFebruary 27, 2014 at 2:08 pm
Sounds Delicious…Pefectly done…
chikkus KitchenFebruary 27, 2014 at 6:18 pm
Very tasty and delicious paratha…yumm !!
Priya AnandakumarFebruary 27, 2014 at 9:59 pm
Very filling healthy and delicious paratha…
Manjula BharathFebruary 27, 2014 at 10:48 pm
wow very delicious and yummy filling and perfectly done paratha 🙂 tempting me dear !!
Eli ZFebruary 28, 2014 at 5:33 am
And I was just looking for something new to try out for tomorrow! Found it!! Thanks dear Smitha – these looks so yummy!! Have a good weekend!
Nalini SomayajiFebruary 28, 2014 at 8:46 am
lovely Gobi Parothas….well explained and cool pics…
Vibha SpFebruary 28, 2014 at 8:53 am
fantastic dear , pics only xplains evrytg , luking yummyyyyyy
sangeetha pnFebruary 28, 2014 at 12:29 pm
good one gal
AnonymousFebruary 28, 2014 at 10:35 pm
when u fill the filling.. shud it be kept for some time b4 rolling?
Meena KumarMarch 1, 2014 at 2:11 am
You take so much pain to give a beginners step by step and advance version thats so nice of u Smitha.I just went through the notes it is a good tip not to give too much pressure in the center while rolling the first time.
Smitha KallurayaMarch 1, 2014 at 11:07 am
Hi , thanks fr stopping by and asking an interesting and important que. No once the filling is done, it should be rolled immediately. If you fill n keep for a longer time, the dough will absorb moisture n become soggy
AnonymousMarch 1, 2014 at 5:29 pm
Thank u.. generally for aloo paratha.. i wait for for sometime after filling it.. if i roll immediaolty.. it tears or breaks…so i had this doubt..
Kitchen RhythmsMarch 5, 2014 at 3:30 am
Rajesh KumarJuly 24, 2015 at 6:52 am
Oh yes I need to try this recipe! Looks delish! Chowringhee Pritam Pura