Sambar is a staple dish in South Indian meals.We make many types of sambar using different combination of veggies,different masala etc.Today, among the variety of sambars we do , i have for you all a healthy and flavorful sambar made from green leafy vegetables, a great way to include greens in your diet.This greens sambar tastes delicious with steaming hot rice.In Karnataka, Soppina huli( Sambar ) and Ragi Mudde (Balls) is a famous and delicious combo…
Greens sambar can be done using any green leafy vegetable or using mixed greens like spinach,amaranth,dil leaves,fenugreek leaves ,local greens etc.. Here I have used amaranth leaves (Dantina Soppu / harive soppu) for making sambar. Amaranth leaves comes in two colors – red and green. You can use any or mix both.Of all the Green leafy sambars, amaranth leaves sambar are my kids favorite as they love to eat the stem of it. So whenever i buy Amaranth bunch, i select the ones that has thick yet tender stem.
Every kitchen has its own recipe for making greens sambar. I make fresh sambar masala in small quantity and use them while making this sambar.Fresh aromatic spices ,fresh greens takes it to a new level. Do try them once this way n i’m damn sure.. you would agree with me. Here we go….
Check Out the Video recipe here :
GREEN LEAVES ( AMARANTH ) SAMBAR
- 1 Big Bunch Any greens / Amaranth Leaves,
- 1 medium Size onion
- 1 cup Split Pigeon peas Tuvar dal
- 1/4 cups coconut grated
- 1 tsp Turmeric Haldi
- Amla size Jaggery, ( optional)
- small lemon size Tamarind, soaked in water
- to taste Salt
To Roast ( Masala )
- 11/2 tsp Coriander Seeds Dhania
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds methi
- 1 tsp Black Gram Urad Dal
- 1/4 tsp Bengal Gram Chana Dal
- 1 tsp Rice, (optional)
- 5 - 10 Red Chillies, (As per your spice level ; i add 8 mix both kasmiri n spicy variety)
- 1 tsp + 1 tsp Ghee / oil, for roasting masala
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 3 - 4 flakes Garlic, - ( optional, i use sometimes only )
- Curry Leaves
- Wash amaranth leaves properly,separate the leaves and stem .Keep aside. If the stem is too tender , you can chop them along with leaves.
- Wash the toor dal ,add turmeric and cook for 3 - 4 whistles with 2 cup of water. Mash the cooked dal and keep aside.
- Meanwhile, finely chop amaranth leaves, stems to 1 inch sized pieces and dice onion. Keep aside.
- Take the stem in a wide vessel .Add some water and keep to cook.
- After the stems are 50 % cooked, add chopped greens and diced onion. Close and cook for 5-10 mins.
- Meanwhile,lets roast the masala.In a small pan add few drops of oil.Add all the ingredients mentioned under masala .Roast them on medium low flame till red chillies becomes crisp and dal turns golden color.Transfer all the ingredients to a mixer jar.
- Add coconut,tamarind and salt.Grind to a fine paste ( don't make super smooth ) .
- Once the greens are cooked to 75%,add cooked dal ,ground mixture and jaggery if using.
- Add some water to bring to the desired consistency and mix well.Keep on sim and bring it to boil.
- Season with mustard ,garlic and curry leaves.Switch Off.
- Serve Hot Amaranth Sambar ( or any greens sambar ) with hot steamed rice / ragi balls / chapathi / dosa etc.
- As i said above you can do this sambar any type of greens or mixed greens.
- If you are lazy / in a hurry to roast fresh masala each time while making sambar , you can use ready sambar masala powder . This saves lot of time. But sambar made from freshly roasted masala tastes more yummy.
- The same masala can be used to make vegetable sambar too.
- Adding garlic and onion is purely optional .If you dont want you can omit .