People who are following me , probably are enjoying or are fed up of my marathon Laddu posts. In the last few days i posted Besan laddu,Rava laddu,Til laddu ,Peanut laddu and today the last one Moong dal laddu. What to do from the time i started blogging, one or the other festivals are coming and my kids craved laddus for all the festivals.So today i make a promise : ” no more laddu posts for some time ….”. ok , pakka.
Moongdal Laddu is a very old traditional dish.Its known as “Hesarittina Unde” in Kannada. I am using moong dal and jaggery to prepare this dish. Both are rich in protiens, fiber and iron.Few people do it with sugar too.That recipe some other time.
We all know, Moong dal is very nutritious,especially for kids. I’ve heard taking half a cup of moong dal is as equivalent to having an egg. So,we can give it to kids as much as they want without any hesitation .Yes,you heard it right -only kids can have as much as they want and for us quantity of ghee comes in between. 🙁 This recipe is from my sweet mom. She always makes it for Janamasthami . It needs a little bit of prep with roasting the moong dal and then grinding it to a powder. Mommy dear does this for me and parcels me the moong powder. Thanks Amma for sending it every year.
You will be happy to know that the procedure for preparing these ladoos is very simple. You need not worry about the consistency of the syrup.Initially, If you spend 15-20 minutes for preparation of flour, then it can be prepared instantly. Enjoy preparing these delicious laddus
MOONG DAL LADDU
- 1 cup Split green gram /Moong dal
- 1/2 cup Jaggery, (suit to taste)
- 1/2 cup Ghee, (dont reduce this quantity)
- 1/2 cup coconut, Grated Dry (optional)
- 2 tbsps Roasted Chana Dal / hurikadle, (optional Just to make it nutty )
- 3 - 4 nos Elaichi /cardamom
- Cashews /raisins
Firstly, prepare moong dal powder as below :
- Sorry , couldn't take pic at this stage as mom had sent me the moong dal powder. Next time i'll update this.
- Roast moong dal in a kadai on low flame, until they get golden brown color and start leaving aroma.Remove pan from heat and rest it to cool
- Machine grind it to a fine powder(atta) in a flour mill. Store it in a dry bottle.
- Alternatively , you can do the powder at home in a mixer .Sieve.Take the remnants on the sieve and powder them again.Repeat till you get a very smooth powder.
- Now fine powder of moongdal is ready.You can store it for as many days as you want.
Now proceed to make laddus :
- In a pan heat 1 tsp ghee and fry raisins and cashew nuts till golden color. Set aside.
- To the same pan, add the remaining Ghee.Warm it and keep aside.
- Now , take jaggery and abt 1/2 glass of water in a kadai. Stir it continuously until jaggery melts.It may take 3-4 mins.Take off the kadai from heat.
Next, to the jaggery syrup, add moong dal powder, ghee, grated dry coconut, roasted chana dal, dry fruits and cardmom powder.Mix well .The mixture will be little moist in the beginning but once warm it will be perfect.
- When the mixture is warm,.Take a handfull of the mixture and make round balls, to form a laddu .Repeat the same with rest of the mixture.
Our tasty and healthy moong dal laddu is ready to eat. We can store it in air tight container for 1 month..