Today i have an easy ,simple and yummy variety rice recipe that’s famous in Karnataka as Kayi Sasive Chitranna . This kayi sasive chitranna recipe is a traditional dish . Made usually in festivals / weddings , upanayana and other functions as its a no- onion no – garlic dish . Kayi sasive chitranna is very good for lunch box too as its very easy to make and tasty to taste .
Kayi sasive chitranna can be translated basically as Coconut ( kayi ) mustard ( Sasive ) rice ( Chitranna ) . Coconut , mustard , red chillies , tamarind , salt and jaggery are blended together to make a paste which is later sauted in a tempering . The final masala obtained is ready to mix to rice . This is good enough to store in fridge for weeks and use as and when required . Believe this masala is so finger licking with a mild mustardy flavor with a balanced taste of spicy ness , tanginess and sweetish .
One can also mix this Kayi sasive masala to traditional ottu shavige ( Rice vermicelli ) or mix it beaten rice and do as we do poha . Method is same .. just replace rice . Which ever dish you make .. I am sure you will love this Karnataka special Kayi sasive chitranna .
You can also check some more no onion no garlic rice varieties like Raw Mango Rice , Menthe uddina rice , etc..
KAYI SASIVE CHITRANNA / COCONUT MUSTARD RICE RECIPE
- 2 cups Cooked Rice
- Salt to taste
Masala (To grind )
- 3/4 tsp Mustard seeds
- 3/4 cup grated coconut, can + / - this quantity
- 4-6 nos Dried Red Chilli, ( Guntur / byadgi / mixed -- spicy + color giving )
- amla / goosberry size Tamarind
- amla / goosberry size Jaggery, can add as per requirement
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Oil / coconut oil, coconut oil preferred
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Black Gram /Urad Dal
- 3/4 tsp Bengal Gram /channa dal
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric /Haldi
- a pinch Asafotida or hing
- handful Groundnuts / cashews / both
- few Curry Leaves
- 1 red chilli broken
- Wash rice and cook it in the proportion 1 : 2.5 ie 1 glass rice 2.5 glass water.The cooked rice grains should be separate,not mushy.Once cooked, spread the cooked rice on a wide plate.This will make the grains separate further & also helps to cool quickly.Allow the rice to cool completely.
- In a mixer take mustard , red chilli and salt . Dry grind till its powdered
- Add coconut , tamarind and jaggery to the mustard chilli powder . Add little water and make a semi smooth paste . Make sure not to grind it smooth
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan / kadai. When oil is hot, add mustard seeds,urad dal, channa dal and ground nuts. When mustard seeds splutter nicely, add hing, red chilly and curry leaves. Saute.Add turmeric
- Add the ground paste to it . Saute for 4-5 mins till raw smell goes and the masala starts leavinig the pan
- Our masala for making kayi sasive chitranna is ready . You can store in fridge in an air tight container for few weeks and use and when required
- Add cooked cooled rice to the pan.Add little quantity of prepared masala initially.Mix them thoroughly & gently. Ensure no rice lumps are formed.Taste test. If you feel its little bland add the remaining masala and mix .
- Spicy little sweetish Kaayi sasive chitranna is ready to serve. Serve at room temperature as such or with papad / raitha.
Anlet - annslittlecornerApril 26, 2017 at 2:09 pm
Wow delicious rice recipe…
KandraNovember 1, 2017 at 4:24 pm
Can i use dried coconut?
Smitha KallurayaDecember 13, 2017 at 5:09 pm
You can use .. but fresh coconut tastes more better
VidyaFebruary 4, 2018 at 1:49 pm
How many days can I kept in the fridge
SwethaMarch 10, 2019 at 1:47 am
Turned out as expected. Yumm! Amma maadidahaage ittu. Thank you, Smitha.