Today I have a bowlful of simple ,healthy and comforting side dish .. . ” Palak Tambli / Spinach Tambuli ” . Tambli is a very traditional Karnataka dish which our grannys have been making from many years from various herbs,peels,spices etc . For better understanding we can term tambli as medicated buttermilk / a type of raita /a curry/ cold soup .You can prepare tambli with anything and most of them takes just 10 mins . Yes in 10 mins you have a bowlful of comforting food to cool your soul .Each has its unique flavor and benefits. Tamblis are not spicy, greasy or heavy. Instead they are lite,mild,medicinal and soothing . I had earlier shared Ginger thambli ,Brahmi thambli,doddapatre tambli , fenugreek seeds tambli and today lets learn step by step recipe for Palak Tambli . Its a very basic dish,nutrient -dense and thoughtfully prepared. So are you ready to make a note of authentic palak tambli recipe … Here you go …
- 15 - 20 Spinach /palak leaves
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds Jeera
- 3 - 5 pods Pepper
- 2 nos Green Chilly, ( Usually tambli is mild )
- 1/4 Cup grated coconut
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups sour curd /buttermilk
- 1 tsp Ghee
- to taste Salt
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds Jeera
- few Curry Leaves
- 1 Red Chilli /Sundried Curd Chilli, ( Broken )
- Clean,wash and roughly chop palak leaves ( you can retain tender stems too ) .
- In a pan add few drops of ghee and roast jeera,pepper and green chilli.Fry for a minute.
- Add the palak leaves and sauté for 2-3 minutes or till the leaves turn soft and change their colour.
- Remove from the flame and keep aside to cool.
- Grind leaves -spice mix ,coconut and salt to a very smooth paste in a mixer by adding little water.
- Pour the mixture to a bowl and add buttermilk / curd .Mix well.Adjust the consistency as required. The consistency should be thin .
- Heat the remaining ghee in a small pan.Add mustard seeds and jeera ,when it splutters add curry leaves .Pour the tempering on the thambli .
- Serve Palak tambli in room temperature with hot steaming rice or relish as such as a drink.
- You can try any other herb like mint, curry leaves,fenugreek leaves,brahmi leaves ,ajwain leaf etc .
- Grind the paste smooth . That will give a nice consistency .
- Use little sour curd or buttermilk .Sourness will enhance the taste