After i shared Poori yesterday, many people messaged me asking– ” Whats the yellow side dish peeping from the background of the picture ? Is it Potato Masala ? Can you please share the recipe ? ” Yes friends you guessed it right , it was indeed the famous … everybody’s favorite ” Potato masala / Potato Saagu ” . Though poori can be relished with many sides , for most ” Poori Masala ” remains to be the ultimate combo . They are also known as Bombay Saagu and i have absolutely no clue why it is called so . Any ways .. for all those who were asking for the recipe , here’s the creamy , yummy, easy and simple Potato Saagu … i can see many drooling there .. Hehe..
I make aloo sagu in 2-3 types and today’s recipe is one among them , restaurant style potato masala. I am sure you might have seen this saagu in hotels , commonly served with poori / rava idli / set dosa . Though its one of the common dishes in restaurants that doesn’t mean making them at home is tough .
For bachelors n beginners, this poori masala is like a blessing . There are little chances to err and the end result most of the time is finger licking .Yes friends its such a super easy aloo curry recipe that can be prepared in just 20 minutes . So are you ready to try ? Here you go….
POORI MASALA RECIPE
- 3 nos potato
- 2 big onion, sliced
- 1 - 2 fistful green peas
- 3 - 5 nos Green Chillies
- small piece Ginger, , finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Gram Flour Besan
- Salt & lemon, as needed
- Coriander leaves, to garnish
- 1 tbsp Cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1 tsp Chana Dal
- few Curry Leaves
- 1 Red Chilli, -broken to pieces
- Pressure cook potatoes with little turmeric for 4-5 whistles till they are cooked .Once they are cool ,deskin ,mash and keep aside . you need not mash to paste . a few chunks here and there is fine .
- Heat oil in a kadai . Add mustard , urad dal and chana dal.
- Once they splutter add curry leaves and broken red chilli . Saute . Add green chilli , ginger and onion .
- Saute till onion turns transparent . Add green peas .( if fresh n tender add peas as such . else partially cook before and add )
- Add water and bring to boil .
- Meanwhile dilute besan in 1/4 cup water such that there are no lumps .Set aside.
- When water starts boiling add mashed potatoes and salt . Mix well . Cover and cook for 2-3 mins so that potatoes takes in flavor .
- Finally add besan diluted in water . Mix well . Keep the flame on sim . Bring to boil . You will see that the gravy will thicken and attain a nice consistency . If required add some more water . Taste test .
- Switch off. Squeeze lime and garnish with chopped coriander leaves .
- Thats it .. hot potato saagu is ready to enjoy . Serve it with poori / rava idli / set dosa / chapathi.
JyothiApril 13, 2015 at 3:12 pm
Thank you soo much for the recipe.i love aloo masala and was wondering how to get such tastier ones as they do in the hotel..u make lives soo simplier..i have started enjoying cooking only by following your posts.
marudhus kitchenApril 13, 2015 at 4:00 pm
Perfect poorimasal…recipe dear
Sony PApril 13, 2015 at 4:16 pm
Yummy and tasty potato masala……. we make it different way!!
Rafeeda ARApril 14, 2015 at 5:28 am
This looks amazing… always a killer combination! Love that bowl…
Malathi ganeshApril 14, 2015 at 6:07 am
My all time favorite…
triptiApril 14, 2015 at 3:48 pm
Looks awesome cant wait 2 try it !!
AnonymousApril 14, 2015 at 4:15 pm
pics make me drool
Maha GaddeApril 19, 2015 at 6:21 pm
Masala luks Very tempitng n delicious
plasterers bristolMay 5, 2015 at 8:51 am
this so good. Definitely going to try this. Thanks for sharing. Simon
SupriyaFebruary 7, 2016 at 5:48 pm
I tried the Bombay Sagu today. We all enjoyed it with poori for Breakfast today.
MahaJune 8, 2016 at 4:05 pm
Oh Smitha….I was looking for this recipe….Infact, the very nice n attractive abt ur blog is that….It’s very neat and has really what we require(which practically v can try at home)….not much fancy things or Ads…which normally disturbs our intentions..Excellent work.