Rava Bhakri recipe with step by step photos | How to do Rava Bhakri | Sooji roti recipe
Hmm… life was very hectic past few days . Festivals and other stuff forcefully kept me away from blog . Back today with yet another Karnataka special dish …. They are “ Rava Bhakri / Sooji Roti ” or Chiroti Rava Rotti as called in Kannada . If you are looking for a break from your normal dosa / idli / upma / poha / cereals / if you want to cook something easy,tasty and different for your breakfast … then this instant Rava Bhakri is perfect for you . Calls for no pre-planning,soaking or fermenting …. Tastes awesome when served with ennegai palya or any other spicy curry or spicy chutney . The best part about this Rava Bhakri is they are very soft not just when hot but also after its got cold .. tastes great even when packed for lunch box !!
In my home we all love Rava bhakri and i often make them . i had shared before Rave rotti using upma rava , sour curd , onion etc . This roti is completely different from that .. it’s made using Chiroti Rava ( fine rava ) and cooked liked ubbu rotti . These puffed Rava rotis / bhakris are cooked using almost no oil . I use a roti press to flatten them .. which makes things very easy . Enjoy with ennegai palya / stuffed ridge gourd / any spicy chutney …
Few points to note while making Rava Bhakri :
- Dough has to be fresh to make these rotis. With the old stock dough , roti making process might be difficult. This is important .
- Don’t allow the dough to get too cold while kneading.Knead it when it is manageable hot.Kneading process is very vital.
- Since we are kneading the dough when its hot only , it would be difficult for us to handle the dough bear hands. That’s why we are putting it in polythene cover and knead later .
- While rolling,if the edges crack ,smoothen it with finger tip and continue rolling to get smooth edges.
- Also, roll-out/press rottis one-by-one and cook them immediately since the dough can dry up very quickly
- Final step of cooking on direct flame is optional . Can omit but it gives nice flavour .
Do give a try .. i am sure you will like it ..
RAVA BHAKRI RECIPE / CHIROTI RAVA ROTI / SOOJI ROTI RECIPE
- 1 Cup Fine sooji /Semolina/ chiroti rava
- 1.5- 1.75 cup Water
- 1 tsp Ghee / oil
- Salt to taste
- In a wide kadai / pan / wok , boil the water along with a tsp oil and salt to taste.
- When water starts bubbling, keep on sim & slowly add Chiroti rava and keep stirring constantly using a spatula .
- Flour will combine to form a lump and switch off the flame. Close a lid and allow to sot so for 3-4 mins .
- When the dough is still warm , transfer it into a clean polythene cover and knead. refer note
- Knead it nicely to form a very smooth lumpless dough.Dough for rava bhakri is ready .
- Divide the dough to orange sized balls .
- There are two ways in which you can proceed next. a). Take 1 ball, flatten it a bit and place it in between 2 thick greased plastic sheets and roll gently to form a thin disc.
- b) Alternatively , if you have a roti maker / press , you can keep a ball between the sheets and gently press to get a thin disc . This is how i do .
- Once the rotis are ready , transfer them gently on a hot griddle . Let the roti remain so.. for about 40-50 sec till you can observe bubbles.
- At this stage,flip it and cook for a min.No need to add oil .You can press edges lightly with so that roti inflates.This also ensures equal cooking.
- Finally when the rotis are almost done , flip them and put on direct flame as we do for phulka.Roti puffs up.Quickly flip using tongs and cook other side for few seconds.Remove from flame. Brush it with ghee / oil if you wish.
- Serve hot Rava roti / Rava bhakri with stuffed brinjal (ennegayi ) , peanut garlic chutney powder,sprouts subzi ( mudde palya ) or any other spicy curry / chutney .
Anlet PrinceMarch 8, 2018 at 9:45 am
Rava Bhakri explained very easily…