Raw Jackfruit Kabab Recipe with step by step Photos | Raw jackfruit Kebab | Kathal ke kabab | Kathal kabab recipe with step by step Photos | Raw Jackfruit cutlet recipe
Today i have an exotic , flavorful , delicious kabab made from a seasonal veggie – Raw jack fruit . Hearing about my today’s dish my mom’s first reaction was ” Cutlet? !!! Out of jack fruit ..!!! ?? “.I know most of the South Indian’s would react the same way hearing it. I too hadn’t tasted Raw Jackfruit Kabab ever but when i did .. i just loved this royal dish to the core. It’s very famous in Northern part of India as ” Kathal ke kabab ” . Raw jackfruit cooked in an aromatic masala and fried till crisp …. Ahh… Can you get the aroma and that melt in mouth texture ??
But the most boring and time consuming part in jackfruit is its cleaning and cutting. Once that’s taken care of, Making any dish is just a step away.Do follow this video and give a try. Cutting at home is actually not that difficult afterall the end result is worth all the trouble ????
It so happens that whenever i get my hands on raw jackfruit, I normally end up making all the traditional authentic stuff that i had grown up eating. But this time, the blogger in me decided to try something new. After making Raw jackfruit sambar , i kept aside another half for my experimentation. Did some googling … striked off all sambars, curries, stir-fries from it … was left with kabab. I mixed n matched few recipes and came up with my version of Raw Jackfruit Cutlet”. The whole process excluding jackfruit chopping did not take much time. And the end result was so so awesome.. had crossed all my expectations … the jackfruit was so well cooked taking in all the flavours..we all loved it so much. My husband loved it so much that he actually praised at least 5 times while enjoying it. Anyhow i was very happy to have got this easy yummy recipe and that is the reason why I am sharing with you.. Do try it once and i am sure you will enjoy this unique flavorful kababs.
Few points to note while making Raw Jackfruit Kabab :
- Take care that jackfruit pieces while boiling don’t absorb excess water. If they do, drain water nicely and place jackfruit pieces on tissue paper so that it absorbs any extra moisture.
- The addition of spices, herbs, veggies is all your choice. You can go crazy with the filling and do plus or minus from the above-mentioned list.
- You can either deep fry them or shallow fry them on Tawa. Both taste equally good. But if you are doing it in large quantity, better to deep fry as it gets over equally.
The final dough should not be watery type. else it will be too soft and drink oil. In that case, you can add some bread or some more roasted gram flour to absorb excess moisture.
RAW JACKFRUIT KABAB / KATHAL KABAB RECIPE / RAW JACKFRUIT CUTLET
- 250 gm raw jackfruit / halasina kayi
- 3-4 tbsp besan /gram flour
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger, finely chopped
- 2-3 nos Green Chilli, finely chopped
- few sprigs Coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp Haldi /turmeric
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder/ Jeera powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder / Dhania powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil to shallow fry / deep fry
Pressure cook cut raw jackfruit pieces with little water and salt for 3 whistles. When pressure releases, strain excess water and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile roast besan till aromatic .. keep aside .
Later mash cooked raw jackfruit pieces using a blender or fingertips .
To the mashed kathal add chopped onions, chopped coriander leaves, chopped chilli, chopped ginger, haldi, dhania powder, jeera powder, garam masala powder, red chilli powder, roasted besan and salt to taste. Combine everything. Taste test and add if anything required .
Divide the dough and make small lemon sized balls.
Shape them into kebabs / tikkis shape.
The shaped kebabs can either be deep fried or shallow fried on a hot tawa. Heat the tawa and grease oil. Place kebabs on hot pan. Drizzle oil
Cook both sides on low flame till golden brown in colour.
Enjoy hot kathal ke kabab with some mint chutney.