Things are getting busier day by day. Sharing a post after almost a week . Today i have healthy and yummilicious chutney for you all ” Spinach Chutney / Palak Chutney “. This chutney is quick and easy to prepare and a nice change from the regular chutneys. If your family hates spinach ..and you are wondering how to include them in your menu.. this spinach chutney is probably one of the best ways to do so . You can relish this chutney for few days without gtting bored..tastes awesome with steamed rice , dosa , idli , chapathi…
I make palak chutney in 2 ways and this spinach chutney method is almost similar to that of carrot chutney , beetroot chutney , taro leaves chutney that i have posted before here . So as the name says .. in this recipe spinach is the hero . Do give a try and i am sure you will love this palak chutney. All you have to do is mix it into some hot rice and a little ghee or coconut oil and wow, you have one delicious meal to savoir !! Here you go…..
PALAK CHUTNEY / SPINACH CHUTNEY
- 20 - 25 Spinach /palak leaves
- 1 small cup coconut, (optional but add atleast few spoons )
- 2 tsps Black Gram Urad Dal
- 1 tsps Bengal Gram Chana Dal
- A pinch Hing
- 6 - 8 Red Chillies, (As per spice level)
- A pinch Turmeric Haldi
- lemon size Tamarind,
- Little Jaggery
- Salt, as per taste
- Curry Leaves, few
- 4 - 5 flakes Garlic, cut to Pieces (ref notes)
- 2 - 4 tsps Oil, ( Coconut oil pref for authentic taste )
- Clean,wash and roughly chop palak leaves ( you can retain stems too ) .
- Next blanch the spinach.Boil water in a big vessel and add cleaned spinach .Allow it in hot water for 1 min.Strain the spinach(don't discard the water,can be used for something )
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a small pan. When oil is hot, add urad dal ,chana dal ,hing & red chillies fry till dal turns golden. Turn off the heat, add coconut & let it cool completely.
- Transfer the fried masala, cooked leaves ,jaggery ,tamarind ,haldi and salt to a mixer / blender. Grind to a smooth paste.Taste test .
- Prepare the tempering .Heat oil in a small pan. When oil is hot, add mustard,garlic and curry leaves. Fry it until garlic turns golden brown. Now add grounded chutney to this.Bring a boil by stirring in between .
- Serve Spinach chutney with hot steamed rice / idli / dosa ..Stays good for 3-4 days in fridge .
- If you don't want garlic you can replace it with hing.
Preethi PrasadSeptember 12, 2016 at 1:20 pm
Palak Chutney looks tempting. Love the colour too.
Matam Vasudevamoorthy NahusharajSeptember 14, 2016 at 3:53 pm
Thank you Madam.It was really something new and delicious.Please keep sending more such recepies.
mahaSeptember 14, 2016 at 4:51 pm
healthy yet tasty chutney which is a gud side dish for rice.
Vimala G PSeptember 24, 2016 at 4:13 am
Looks yummy. Will surely try.
Wajeeha BanuJanuary 14, 2018 at 10:43 am
Tried this. It was very tasty. Thanks for sharing the recipe.