How to do Banana stem Stir fry | Banana stem stir fry recipe with step by step pics | Bale Dindu palya | How to do Bale Dindina Palya | Vazhaithandu Palya
Banana stem stir fry is known as Bale dindina Palya in Kannada and Vazhaithandu Poriyal in Tamil. You can serve this as an accompaniment with rice or chapathi. Tasty , healthy and fibre loaded.
Check out the bale dindina palya video :
Health Benefits Of Banana Stem :
Banana stem is full of rich nutrients and fibre . It’s also a good remedy for kidney stones. Banana stem juice taken early morning empty stomach helps in weight loss ( Just blend Banana stem chunks , sieve and add a pinch of salt and cumin powder). It’s good to include Banana stem in our diet at least once in a month as it helps in detoxification.
There are many dishes one can make from banana stem like sasime , palya , bhelpuri, salad etc .. But whichever dish you want to make using Banana stem .. remember to always pick tender, fresh ones.
I have already shared before Banana stem raita, today its time for South Indian style Banana Stem Stir fry recipe…over the time I will include few more.
This dish is actually very quick to make . only cutting of banana stem takes time. Once that’s done .. making banana stem stir fry is very easy. it’s light on tummy too as the spice level is very minimum and oil usage is also less.
Few points to note while making Banana Stem Stir Fry :
- To avoid discolouration , keep the chopped stem immersed in water / diluted buttermilk water till use . If you want you can cut it the previous day & keep them immersed & refrigerate it .
- Use tender banana stem only and chop fine
- If you want can add chopped onion. I don’t add.
BANANA STEM STIR FRY | BALE DINDINA PALYA | VAZHAITHANDU PORIYAL
- 1 medium sized Banana Stem / baale dindu
- 2 tbsp Green gram / split moong dal
- 1/4 tsp Haldi turmeric
- 2-3 tbsp coconut, Grated
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tsp Oil / coconut oil
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Urad dal
- 1/2 tsp Channa dal
- 1/4 tsp Cumin seeds / jeera seeds
- 1-2 nos Red Chilli, Broken
- 2-3 nos Green Chilli, Finely chopped
- few Curry leves
- Peel the outer layers of the stem till the time you are not able to peel any more. Discard the outer cover.
- Take the inner tender part of the stem separately .. retain the inner core.
- Next, start cutting the stems into horizontal discs. You will observe that thread like fibre starts sticking to the knife. Using your fingers discard the thread that comes in between the discs
- Now chop them finely and keep them soaked in diluted buttermilk water to avoid discolouration.
- Soak moong dal in water for 30mins – 1 hour, set aside.
- In a kadai / pan. Prepare tempering . Add Oil and splutter mustard , Urad Dal , chana dal . Later add cumin, curry leaves, broken red chilli and chopped green chilli. Saute 1-2 mins.
- Drain the chopped veggie and dal. Add it into the kadai along with turmeric powder. Saute for 1-2 mins.
- Add water till immersing level, salt to taste and cook it covered. Let the flame be on medium.
- When the veggie turns soft and becomes transparent, its done.Add grated coconut, give a quick stir and switch off.
- Enjoy Banana stem Stir fry or Bale Dindina Palya with rasam an rice .