No celebration is complete without a sweet treat..isn’t it ? Last week my blog crossed 1 lac page views.To mark the day , i wanted to post ” Bottlegourd Halwa / Lauki Halwa “. But my plans got whitewashed coz of kids vacation since i’ve became busy running behind them.Part and parcel of life..without cribbing about the delay…find happiness and enjoy each moment should be the funda..Hmm..glad that i could share with you all the recipe of this yummy dessert at least today…
health benefits.Including bottle gourd in our diet reduces fatigue and maintains freshness especially in summer.Its a natural body cooler as it has good moisture content.So are you ready to jot down the recipe of ideal refreshing dessert for summer ” Bottle Gourd Halwa “..
Check Out the Video recipe here :
BOTTLE GOURD / DOODHI HALWA
- 2 1/2 cup bottle gourd
- 1 - 1/2 cup Sugar, (depending on your pref )
- 100 gm Khova /Khoya Mawa
- 2 - 4 tbsps Ghee, ( Can add or reduce this quantity )
- a pinch Citric Acid crystals /Nimbu ka phool / Nimbu uppu
- few Kesar / Saffron threads
- 1 tsp Cardamom Powder
- Nuts raisins cashew badam, as much as you like
- Wash ,peel the skin and grate bottle gourd using a grater.
- Soak saffron in warm milk and keep aside .
- Heat a tsp of ghee in a thick bottom kadai / pan and saute raisins ,cashews and almonds in it ,one by one.When they turn golden brown remove and keep aside.
- To the same kadai, add 1 tbsp of ghee and add grated bottle gourd .Saute it for 3-5 mins on medium flame, till the raw smell goes.
- Add sugar.Mix well.The sugar - gourd mixture will leave water.Cook uncovered on medium flame and keep mixing in between to avoid sticking to the bottom .Let the bottle gourd cook and water be almost evaporated.This will take 5-8 mins.
- Now,add Khoya ,saffron and ghee. Mix well.
- When the halwa becomes thick and looks like jam ( the mixture becomes one big mass),turn off the stove.
- Add roasted nuts ,cardamom powder and citric acid crystals.Mix well.Thats it..Bottle gourd halwa is ready...Enjoy it hot / warm / cold..Stays good when refrigerated up to 10 days.
- Choose tender bottle gourds to make halwa.If you find bottle gourd seeds are tight and grown, remove it before grating.
- Grate and start cooking bottle gourd immediately, as they tend to become brown fast .
- If you don't have Khoya , you can replace it with condensed milk or fresh cream.
- If you don't have saffron , you can add a pinch of food color.
techie ZMApril 7, 2014 at 12:28 pm
Lovely and healthy..
Linsy PatelApril 7, 2014 at 12:46 pm
prachi agarwalApril 7, 2014 at 2:20 pm
Sathya PriyaApril 7, 2014 at 2:31 pm
tempting halwa .i usually dont add mawa to my halwas .adding of it will give a nice texture n lots of richeness to the halwa.Belated bday wishes to ur cutie.
mrkk08April 7, 2014 at 3:06 pm
Sony PApril 7, 2014 at 3:08 pm
Tasty and healthy dessert….!!
mrkk08April 7, 2014 at 3:32 pm
Very tempting & very simple recipe. 🙂 I’ll try it this week sometime.Thanks for sharing.
nandoos KitchenApril 7, 2014 at 4:38 pm
Beulah ArunApril 7, 2014 at 5:16 pm
Lovely yummy halwa!
Eliza LincyApril 7, 2014 at 6:18 pm
Halwa Looks So tempting. Healthy Recipe with nice clicks.
Priya SureshApril 7, 2014 at 7:58 pm
Wish i get a bowl of halwa, soo irresistiblee.
Gayathri SathyanarayananApril 8, 2014 at 12:16 am
Halwa looks yummy.
divya hrApril 8, 2014 at 8:10 am
I don’t use sugar. I always do it with jaggery. Same process though. That also tastes good.
ChitraApril 8, 2014 at 9:53 am
Its in my try list.looks mouthwatering Smitha 🙂
Swathi IyerApril 8, 2014 at 3:10 pm
Bottle gourd halwa looks delicious love it.
Resna NishadApril 8, 2014 at 3:27 pm
Maha GaddeApril 9, 2014 at 1:39 am
halwa yummy n pics r wonderful.
Radha NatarajanApril 9, 2014 at 8:52 am
Looking yummy:-) nice clicks
Nalini SomayajiApril 9, 2014 at 11:14 am
yemmy healthy Halwa…
Nalini SomayajiApril 9, 2014 at 11:14 am
Yemmy and healthy Halwa…
Mitha HegdeApril 9, 2014 at 12:28 pm
Wow This looks so delicious.. Loved the clicks too.. Very tasty way of adding bottle gourd in our diet.. 🙂
GloriaApril 9, 2014 at 8:12 pm
I had this yesterday..looks so yummy & delicious ………..
FlavorsAnd ColorsByAparnaApril 11, 2014 at 7:10 am
Superb halwa …looks yummy