Today’s recipe is my childhood favorite, which has continued till date. People who don’t have a sweet tooth too would surely get lost relishing these delicious ” Dry fruit Laddus ” . Also known as Antina Unde or Kardantu (in Kannada) , Dink Laddu / Dinkache Laadu (in Marathi) ,Gond ke Ladoo (in Hindi) .Made using lots of nuts and edible gum , they are not just delicious but very very healthy..one of the best food during winters . In Karnataka , these are traditionally given to lactating mothers as its a great strength booster .Very famous in North Karnataka region , i am sure you might have seen these dry fruit laddus in many sweet shops too . Since Diwali is round the corner , whats more exotic than these dry fruits laddus . For sugar free and easy version of dry fruit laddu .. check HERE .Do try these dry fruit laddus for sure .. A person like me ( who doesn’t have a sweet tooth ) can love this, im sure anyone can !! Here you go…
Dry Fruit Laddu
- 1/2 cup Almonds/ badam
- 1/2 cup Dry dates / Khajur
- 1/2 cup Cashews / Kaju
- 1/2 cup Raisins / kishmish
- 1/2 cup Pista
- 3 cups Grated dry coconut / kopra
- 1/2 cup Poppy seeds / Khus Khus / gasgase
- 1/4 cup Edible gum / gondh, optional
- 2.5 cups Jaggery
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup Ghee
- 4 - 5 nos cardamom/ elaichi
- 3 - 4 nos Cloves/ Lavang
- small piece Mace / Jai Patra
- little Nutmeg / jai phal, grated
- Chop all the dry fruits to thin long pieces .
- Dry roast all the flavoring ingridients ie cardamom , cloves,mace etc and crush to powder .
- Dry roast poppy seeds such that they are aromatic .
- Take a kadai /a pan and take a tbsp of ghee. Add edible gum to the ghee and fry till they get nicely puffed up like popcorn . Mine was not of good quality so didn't puff as desired . Once done , keep aside . If you want slightly crush and powder roasted gum.
- In the same kadai /pan , fry almonds, raisins,cashews, pista and dates separately until they are crisp .Add little ghee each time.
- Add the roasted nut , roasted poppy seeds,dried coconut and flavor powder in a big bowl. Mix well.
- Now make jaggery syrup . Take the kadai / pan and add jaggery . Add little water to it say 1/2 cup . Bring it to boil and let the jaggery melt and turn thick 1 string consistency.
- Meanwhile heat ghee .
- Pour the jaggery syrup , hot ghee into the mixed nuts mixtures .
- Mix everything well .
- When the mixture is warm enough to handle , take a handful of it and roll to form laddu .
- Store dry fruit laddus in air tight containers and relish as and when required . Stays good for atleast a month without refrigeration .
- Addition of cashew is optional .
- Additional of edible gum is optional . If doing for lactating mothers , don't omit it . Edible gum is said to strengthen the backbones.
- you can use any dry fruits in any proportion that you like.
- You can plus or minus kopra quantity too .
- Along with jaggery , you can add some red rock candy ( kallu sakkare / mishri ) too. Its very good .
- IMPORTANT STEP To check syrup : To test jaggery syrup readiness - Keep a small plate/cup with cold water ready by stove side.When you take a bit of hot syrup and put it in water, you should be able to make a ball of it. Then the syrup is ready.
- If you want you can reduce the ghee quantity .
- addu should be shaped when the mix is still warm else you might not be able to give shape.
Suma GovindiahFebruary 26, 2017 at 2:30 am
Hi, the laddoos look very delicious. Can you please specify the quantity of edible gum??? Thanks…….