Chutney is one of the crucial category in Indian cuisine. There are so many types of chutneys one can make .Among the long list of different chutneys today i have for you one unique,tasty and healthy chutney made from fenugreek leaves.I am damn sure many would not be knowing this way of making ” Fenugreek leaves Chutney / Methi chutney ” . In Kannada its known as ” Menthe Soppina Chutney “.
Fenugreek leaves are used in various ways in my home. I have already posted aloo methi , methi thepla , Methi Dhokli, Methi dosa, Methi Sambar,Methi pulao , methi muthia and today its time for Methi Chutney . This is my Mom’s recipe which she learnt from some cookery show and was an instant hit at home. She used make them for our long train journeys as a combo with chapathi /poori. It would remain fresh even after 2-3 days. After marriage now i too make this chutney regular as everybody loves it here too. Do try this easy yummy chutney .. i’m sure you too would love it..This chutney goes well with hot rice ,idly,dosa,chapathi and even as a spread for bread.
FENUGREEK LEAVES CHUTNEY
- 1 - 2 big bunch Fenugreek Leaves /methi / leaves
- 2 - 3 medium size onion, Chopped
- 3 - 4 Nos tomato, Chopped
- 2 Green Chilli, chopped
- few Curry Leaves
- a small amla size Tamarind, ( optional )
- 2-4 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Haldi
- To taste Salt
To Roast ( masala)
- 2 Tbsp Split Black gram Urad dal
- 1 tbsp Bengal Gram Chana Dal
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds Dhania
- small piece Cinnamon/ dalchini
- 2 - 3 nos Cloves/ Lavang
- 1 no Marati Moggu, ( optional )
- 3 - 5 no Red Chillies
- Clean methi leaves and separate leaves.
- In a frying pan or small kadai , add few drops of oil .Take all ingredients mentioned under " to roast (masala)". Roast well till on medium flame till dal turns golden brown.
- Once cooled powder the masala. And keep aside .
- Meanwhile , in a kadai . Take oil and mustard seeds. Once they splutter add curry leaves , green chillies and onion.fry till they turn translucent.
- Next add tomato and methi leaves.Add some salt and fry till tomato turns mushy and raw smell of methi leaves goes.
- When both tomato and methi leaves are cooked , add the spice powder. Mix Well and taste test. If sourness is not upto the mark , add some tamarind juice at this point.If the chutney becomes too dry either add some oil or drizzle little water.
- That 's it tasty Fenugreek leaves chutney is ready to relish. Serve it with hot rice,idly,dosa,chapathi ,bread etc
- This chutney tastes best if little more oil is used. Ideally its preferred that no water be added while making it.
- If you have not added any water and have just fryed using oil, it remains fresh even without fridge for 2-3 days making ideal to carry while travelling. If refrigerated stays good for a week atleast.
- Shelf life decreases by using water. If you have drizzled some water while making it , you must keep in fridge to use for 2-3 days