HARIVE SOPPINA CHUTNEY RECIPE | SOPPINA CHUTNEY | AMARANTHUS LEAVES CHUTNEY | KEERAI CHUTNEY
Harive Soppina Chutney / Amaranthus leaves chutney is a very healthy , simple and tasty chutney that one can make within 15 mins . One can serve with hot rice drizzled with few drops of Ghee / oil / rotti / dosa etc.
About the Recipe :
Harive soppu / Dantina soppu known as Amaranthus leaves in English is a tasty very nutritious variety of green leafy vegetable. It comes in both green and purplish pink color. You can use any or mix of both . It is well known for its health benefits – controls hypertension , diabetic friendly , helps in preventing anemia rich in minerals etc to name a few.
Today we will see how to prepare a healthy and nutritious chutney using these greens .
This chutney is quick and easy to prepare and a nice change from the regular chutneys. If you have some left over amaranthus leaves after preparing sambar , this chutney is best way to empty them.
You could use any other variety of greens too to make this chutney . You can relish this chutney for few days without getting bored..tastes awesome with steamed rice , dosa , idli , chapathi
HARIVE SOPPINA CHUTNEY RECIPE WITH STEP BY STEP PHOTOS
Clean and roughly chop the harive soppu or amaranthus leaves or any other greens that you have.
To a pan add a tsp of oil . Add tsp of Urad dal , hing and few red chillies . On medium flame , saute them golden and crisp .
Once dal has tuned golden and crisp , add sliced medium sized Onion , 1/2 tsp jeera .Saute 2-3 mins till raw smell of Onion goes .
Add the chopped greens.
Add salt and tamrind. Saute the green for 1- 2 mins . Later cover and cook them for 3-4 mins.
Let the leaves wilt and cook soft. Allow to cool.
To a mixer jar add 1/2 cup coconut , sauteed greens mix. Add little water and grind .
Take care not to make super fine paste. A little bit texture of leaves is good.
This is how the chutney will looks once ground.
Now let’s prepare a tempering . To a pan add coconut oil or any oil you like . Splutte mustard . Later add few flakes of crushed garlic and curry leaves . Let garlic get golden.
Now add grounded chutney to this . Saute 2-3 mins.
Serve amaranthus leaves chutney with hot rice . Drizzle little coconut oil or ghee while mixing. Will enhance the taste.
Stays good in fridge for a week easily. Serve with rice roti dosa etc
Amaranthus greens Chutney / Harive soppina chutney
- 2 cup Amaranthus greens / Harive soppu
- 1 medium size Onion
- 1/2 cup Coconut
- amla size Tamarind
- tsp Jaggery
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil / Oil
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds / Jeera
- pinch of Hing
- 4-5 nos Red chilli
- 3-4 tsp Coconut Oil / any oil
- Tsp Mustard
- 3-4 flakes Garlic , crushed
- few Curry leaves
- Wash and roughly chop Amaranthus leaves .
- To a pan add tsp of oil . Add urad dal, hing and red chilli. Saute all the ingredients till golden and crisp.
- Later add jeera , onion , salt and tamarind. Saute 2-3 mins till raw smell of Onion goes
- Add greens . Sauté a min , cover and cook 3-4 mins.
- Let the leaves wilt . Allow to cool .
- To a mixer add coconut , sauted Greens onion . Grind by adding little water . You needn't make a super fine paste , little texture in the chutney is good.
- Prepare tempering . In a pan heat oil .Add mustard and crushed garlic.Once garlic turns golden brown , add curry leaves , ground chutney and jaggery. Saute 2-3 mins .
- Serve with rice, idli or dosa