GARLIC PICKLE RECIPE WITH STEP BY STEP PHOTO | HOW TO DO INSTANT GARLIC PICKLE | BELLULI UPPINAKAYI RECIPE
No Indian meal is complete without pickles. Be it an everyday home meal, restaurant thali or an elaborate meal at any function, pickles are a sure shot part of it. Pickles are sure to awaken our taste buds and make wonders. There are various different types of pickles one can make, chosen one for the day is Instant Garlic Pickle Recipe !!! This is an instant, easy spicy and flavorful pickle that’s definitely garlic lovers rejoice. Yes, I mention Garlic lovers cause for other’s .. the pungent garlicky taste might be little strong initially, but once you get the hang of it ..this garlic pickle really gets addictive !! I especially love it with Dal rice and curd rice 🙂
Garlic has been part of the kitchens for centuries. It is mainly used as a taste enhancer for daily meals. But it is also been used as a medicine due to its numerous health benefits. It helps to regulate blood pressure, blood sugar, lower cholesterol levels, blood purifier and helps in reducing joint pains. Ghee Roasted Garlic is a part of the daily meal in many regions of India as it’s believed to improve supply of milk .
After reading all these health benefits, I am sure you would be tempted to include more garlic in your diet now 🙂 and this is one tasty way to include it. This Garlic pickle can be prepared in jiffy and is very tasty too. In just 15-20 mins, spicy Garlic Pickle will be ready !! In fridge you can easily keep them for 1-2 months minimum .
To make this Garlic Pickle I used Idhayam Mantra Groundnut oil , which made the pickle more tastier . I loved how fresh and flavourful this oil tastes.. To know more about this oil, click here Do try and enjoy !!
Few points to note before making Garlic pickle:
- Use fresh garlic bulbs for best taste. Old withered garlic tastes bitter.
- Make sure after cleaning/washing garlic, you remove the moisture from it nicely to avoid spoilage of pickle. Just spread them on a cloth for a few minutes before using.
- To peel garlic pods easily Place the garlic cloves in a microwave-safe bowl and place it in the microwave for 20 seconds. Let it cool down and peel. Alternatively, if you don’t have microwave just dry roast on low flame for a few seconds. Cool and you will realise how easily peels come off .
- Use oil liberally as it’s an instant pickle and oil is one of the main preservative here. The leftover oil standing on top of the pickle, you can use it for making some subzi / roti .
- Instead of tamarind, you can use vinegar/lime juice.
- To balance the taste if you prefer a tinge of sweetness .. you can add little jaggery.
Do check out the video here :
INSTANT GARLIC PICKLE
- 1 cup Garlic, peeled & cleaned
- 1/4 Cup Oil
- 2 tsp Red chilli Powder, can alter the quantity based on your pref
- 1/4 tsp Haldi / Turmeric
- small lemon size Tamarind
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Mustard
- few Curry leaves
- a big pinch Hing / Asafoetda
To Roast & Powder
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek seeds / Methi
- Firstly , peel the garlic, clean and keep it ready.If the flakes are big in size , cut them vertically into 2-3slices else use it as such .
- Soak tamarind in warm water to ectract maximum pulp.
- For the masala: Dry roast methi and mustard . Let they get crisp and aromatic. Once cool, transfer to a small mixer jar, pulse and keep aside.
- In a kadai / pan , heat oil , splutter mustard . Add curry leaves and a big dash of hing . Don't skip hing, it enhance the taste.
- Now add peeled garlic flakes . Saute on low flame for 3-4 mins .
- Let the garlic flakes turn slightly brown and crisp.
- When it's slightly crisp , add salt , haldi , red chilli powder . Also squueze soaked tamarind and add tamarind juice / pulp . Mix everything .
- Allow the mixture to boil 4-5 mins . Let the consistency of the pickle get a bit thick and nice.
- Then add the pickle masala and give a quick mix.Switch off the stove
- Allow the garlic pickle to cool nicely and store it in an airtight container.
- Refrigerate and enjoy instant garlic pickle as and when required .