Little millet upma with step by step photos ? Samai Upma | Millets upma
After receiving green signal for my kodo millet dosa and idly , i am trying various millet recipes these days. So this time i tried another safe recipe using little millet . Since everyone loves upma in my home , i knew this too would be accepted without a fuss . Little millet upma tasted almost like rice upma but health wise its way way nutritious . If you are trying to implement millets in your diet, do try it once, you will definitely make it again and again…
LITTLE MILLET UPMA / samai upma
- 1 cup Little millet
- 2 - 2.5 cups Water
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Mixed veggies (Beans,Carrot,Peas etc ), ( Optional ) finely Chopped
- 3-5 nos Green Chillies, Chopped
- few Coriander leaves, Chopped
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- to taste Salt
- 2-3 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Split Black gram/ Urad dal
- 1/2 tsp Bengal Gram /Chana Dal
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric / Haldi powder
- few Curry Leaves
- Dry roast little millet in a pan or kadai for about 5 min , such that they are aromatic.
- To the same pan add oil and heat. Add chana dal, urad dal and mustard. Fry till they turn golden brown and mustard splutters.Later add curry leaves,onion and green chilli . Saute for a minute or two till the onion turns slight pink.
- Add finely chopped mixed veggies. Add some salt ,turmeric and saute for 3-4 mins.
- To that add water .Keep the flame on medium high and bring to boil .
- When the water starts to boil add roasted little millet, lemon and remaining salt.Mix well.Cover and cook for about 10 minutes on low flame .
- Once little millet is cooked ( until all the water has been absorbed by the millet and feels cooked and looks grainy ) add coriander leaves and coconut . Toss once and switch off.
- Serve little millet upma hot as such or with chutney .