Today i have for you all South Indian style Pudina Rice Recipe …which is very delicious and a perfect one pot dish for the busy lifestyle . Popularly called Pudina pulao and mint rice too . Made with fresh pudina leaves / mint leaves .. this pudina rice recipe is very flavorful . If you want to cook something delicious yet simple and quick this pudina rice is perfect . Its apt for quick meal / partys / lunch box / any occasion . Pair it up with some raita .. a bowl of hot flavorful pudina pulao is all gone ….
Pudina rice is basically made from grinding Mint ,green chillies , onion ,ginger , garlic and other spices . Its later roasted to make it more flavorful . One can add veggies to make it more tasty or skip and do it plain too . Addition of cashews is also optional . So are you ready to see step by step recipe for making pudina pulao .. here you go ..
Check Out the Video recipe here :
PUDINA RICE RECIPE / PUDINA PULAO RECIPE / MINT RICE RECIPE
- 1 cup Basmati Rice / Sona masoori rice
- 1 big onion, Sliced
- 1 medium size tomato
- 1/2 cup Mixed veggies, beans , carrot , potato , peas
- few Cashew, Optional
- 3-4 tbsp Oil / Oil + Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds / jeera seeds
- 1 Bay leaf
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice, to taste
To grind ( Masala )
- fistful or handful Mint / Pudina Leaves
- half fistful fresh coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 4-5 Cloves/ Lavang
- 3-4 Cardamon Elaichi
- 1 small piece Cinnamon stick /dalchini
- 1/2 diced onion
- small piece Ginger
- 5-6 flakes Garlic
- 4-5 Green Chillies, as required
- 1 tsp Coriander /Dhania seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds / jeera seeds
- 2-3 tbsp fresh coconut, optional
- Wash and soak rice in water for 20-30 mins. Drain water completely.
- Meanwhile .. take all the ingredients mentioned under "Masala " to a mixer jar.
- Add very little water and grind to a smooth paste . Masala for pudina rice is ready .
- In a pressure cooker heat oil + ghee together. Once its hot, add cumin seeds and bay leaf . Once its splutters , add sliced onion . Saute till they are golden brown . If you are adding cashews .. add now and saute .
- Next add chopped tomatoes and little salt . Saute till tomatoes are mushy .
- Add ground masala at this stage to the cooker and continue to saute till raw smell goes . After the masala is fried , add chopped mixed veggies like beans , carrot , potatoes , peas etc . Add salt to taste and Saute for 1-2 mins
- Add soaked drained rice and saute for 1-2 mins . This will help in bringing out nice aroma from the rice.
- Add 2 cups warm water , squeeze lime and mix well . Once the water starts boiling ,close the lid and keep the flame to medium . Cook for 2 whistles and switch off the flame.
- Once the pressure releases,gently fluff it up using a fork.Serve the delicious Pudina rice hot hot with any raita of you choice
- Basmati Rice to water ratio i follow is 1: 1.5 . If using normal rice you can maintain 1 : 2 1/2 ratio.
- If you are using basmati rice ,cook for 1 whistle , keep on sim for abt 5-8 mins. Switch off. For normal rice , cook for 2 whistles on medium flame.Basmati rice will cook quickly.
- Instead of peas you can also add corn /hyacinth beans etc.