How many of you love Kerala Parotta ? No No.. my today’s post is not about Parotta but the tasty side dish that’s usually served with it . ” Salna ” is a delicious accompaniment served with parotta in hotels of Tamil nadu . It is spicy, hot and bursting with flavors . Delicious Salna with crispy fried Parottas tastes just awesome .
There are various types of Salna one can make like Plain Salna, Tomato Salna , vegetable Salna and other non veg versions of it. So today i’m sharing with you all recipe for Plain Salna / Tomato Salna.Keeping this simple curry as base you can make any other type of Salna and the procedure is almost the same .In tomato salna though no veggie is used they still great and are best suitable to make when you are pressed for time .Usually Salna will have a visible layer of oil floating over it . But i am happy with my less oil Salna . If you want to match the restaurant look , you can increase the oil quantity . Do give a try and relish with Kerala parotta, chapathi , dosa , ghee rice , jeera rice etc ..
- 1 big onion, ; diced
- 3 tomato, diced
- 2 tbsps coconut, ; grated
- 1 tsp Poppy seeds / Khus khus
- 1/4 inch Ginger
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Seeds /Dhania
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds /Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Fennel /Saunf
- small piece Cinnamon / Dalchini
- 2 Cloves / lavang
- 1 cardamom / elaichi
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- few Curry leaves
- 1 onion, - finely chopped
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder , ( can +/- based on your preference )
- a pinch Turmeric powder
- to taste Salt
- Coriander leaves, to garnish
- 1-2 tsp oil
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cummin seeds, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, cloves , cardamom and cinnamon . Let it splutter .
- Add Onions , tomatoes , ginger , garlic . Saute for 2-3 mins.
- Next add grated coconut and poppy seed. Saute till tomato becomes mushy .
- Once it is cooled. Add little water and grind to fine paste.
- Heat enough oil, Add mustard seeds . When it splutters add onion ,curry leaves and turmeric. Saute .
- Add the ground paste , chilli powder and salt and saute well for 3-4 mins . Add water as required , mix well and bring the gravy to boil on low flame
- When the gravy boils well ( really well ) and thickens switch off the flame and garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve Tomato Salna with Kerala Parotta / Kothu Parotta / idiyappam / Chapathi / idly / dosa / ghee rice / jeera rice etc .
- You can add chopped mixed veggies like beans , carrot , peas etc .
- If you want you can add few pepper corns while rasting the masala .
- To make it more rich you can add few soaked cashews while grinding .
- Boil the salna well on low flame so that the flavrs gets blended nicely tastes great .