Poha Pongal Recipe With Step by step Photo | How to do Avalakki Pongal | Avalakki Pongal Recipe | Beaten Rice Pongal Recipe | Easy Beaten Rice spicy Pongal
Pongal is no knew for any South Indian. It’s one of the most famous breakfast items, especially in Tamilnadu. Normally Pongal is made from rice.But rice for breakfast has been banned in my family 🙁 , Rice is meant only for lunch. .So in this recipe, I have substituted rice with poha and the best part is nobody can even make out its not rice. This Poha Pongal / Avalakki Pongal is very easy to make and takes hardly 15 mins to make if cooked moong dal is ready. Perfect to catch up with few extra hours of sleep on a weekend yet fix tasty homemade breakfast in minutes.
I have shared before Millets Pongal, Daliya Pongal and today it’s time for Poha Pongal. This recipe I got it from my Mom. She loves watching many cookery shows. And makes a note of new simple recipes and shares with me. This is one of those easy to make cuisine which has become a hit in my family. Made with Poha, moong dal & tempered with spices like pepper & cumin .. it tastes best when it is hot and spicy. This recipe is apt even on the days of fasting. Do try …I am sure you too will enjoy this Avalakki Pongal recipe…
AVALAKKI KHARA PONGAL
- 1 cup Poha / Beaten Rice / Avalakki, Thick variety must
- 1/2 cup Moong Dal / split green gram
For Seasoning :
- 3 tbsp Ghee / oil
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- Few Cashews, broken
- 3-4 Green Chillies, Slit (according to your spice level)
- 1 tbsp Ginger, (grated /finely chopped)
- Few Curry Leaves
- 1 - 2 Red Chilli
- 8 - 10 Pepper corns, slightly crushed
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder /Haldi
- Salt to taste
- Roast the moongdal on medium flame till it turns slightly red. Cook it along with the water and turmeric powder in a pressure cooker till you hear 4-5 whistles. Alternatively, if you are running out of time, skip the roasting part and directly pressure cook moong dal and keep aside.Moong dal should be mushy.
- Mean while, wash the poha,drain all the water and keep aside . No need to soak .. it will get cooked later .
In a heavy bottom vessel / kadai do the seasoning.Heat ghee + oil mix. Splutter mustard . Later add cashew , jeera, Curry leaves , green chilli slit , ginger , red chilli , crushed pepper corns, hing and turmeric. Saute till raw smell from ginger goes and cashews are golden brown .
Now add cooked moong dal ,salt and water to the seasoning. Mix well . Bring it to boil. This mixture should be little watery , also spicy and salty . When we add poha .. it will absorb water and spices and will be perfect .
Once the dal mixture starts boiling, add poha and mix well. You will observe that poha absorbs water quickly .If required add little more water.
- Simmer the stove and allow it boil for 4-5 mins so that poha is cooked and absorbs the flavors of the spices added. You can see , pongal has got nice semi solid texture now .
- Lastly top it with little ghee , grated dry coconut ( optional ) . MIx and switch off.
Aromatic,Mouth Watering Poha Pongal is ready . Enjoy it hot only as such or with huli gojju / coconut chutney / sambar .
- Serve the pongal when it is hot. Else,poha will absorb the liquid and turn it into mass.
- You can adjust the consistency of pongal as per your choice .Some like it soupy and some as semisolid type.
- Instead of fully moong dal, you can use moong and tuvar dal in 60:40 ratio.