Avlakki Upkari recipe | Step by Step Recipe for Avalakki Upkari | Udupi style Avalakki Upkari Recipe | Hachida Avalakki Recipe | Easy masala Poha | Masala Upkari recipe
Today I have for you all a super easy breakfast/snack recipe made from thin poha that can be prepared in a jiffy when we are in a hurry / no mood to cook / when we have unexpected guests. Yes this Udupi – Mangalore style Avalakki Upkari takes hardly 10 mins to make. Bajil Avalakki coupled with upma is one of the most common dishes in marriage & other functions. In north Karnataka, it’s known as Hachida avalakki . Typically in Udupi Mangalore region, onion is not added to the avalakki upkari. But I make it sometimes adding onion for extra crunch and taste. Do give a try and let me know how you like it.
Actually, this is a no measurement dish .. ie you can add spice, coconut, sweet etc as per your pref. But still, I have mentioned so that you get taste close to the authentic version when you try the first time. You can alter later on based on your taste. Here you go …
Check Out the Video recipe here :
Points to note while making Avlakki Upkari :
- you can check recipe for rasam powder here
- Use coconut oil for tempering to get the authentic taste.
- In Udupi – Mangalore region , it’s made little sweetish with no onion . You can alter as per your pref. I add onion sometimes only. Both with or without it tastes good.
- Always use thin poha only and don’t skip coconut.
- If you want you can add few groundnut while tempering.
AVLAKKI UPKARI RECIPE / HACHIDA AVALAKKI / EASY MASALA POHA RECIPE
- 2 cup Poha / beaten rice / avalakki, thin / nylon variety
- 1 small onion, ( Optional ) Finely chopped
- 3/4-1 cup coconut, grated
- 1 -2 tsp Rasam powder
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Jaggery
- 2-3 tsp Coconut Oil / Any oil
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1-2 no Green Chilli, Slit
- few Curry Leaves
- 1 Red Chilli, broken
in a mixing bowl take salt , jaggery, rasam powder, grated coconut and onion ( if you are adding ) . As said earlier, the addition of onion is optional.
Mix nicely using your hands crushing it a bit such that onion and coconut leaves little moisture .
Add thin poha .Mix well with your hands. Moisture from onion and coconut should help it to become little soft. Let it sit for 5-10 mins so that it absorbs flavor . However, if you want to serve oldies and kids, you can drizzle just a few drops of water and mix to make it little more soft.
After mixing poha and masala .. this is how it looks . I have sprinkled 4-5 drops of water.
- Lastly prepare a tempering of Mustard , Urad dal, curry leaves and 1-2 slit green chilli ( optional) . Pour it on the poha and mix .
That’s it super easy Avalakki Upkari is ready to enjoy .