Today I have for you all an easy North Indian side dish thats high on flavors and taste .Made from ladys finger, gram flour and combination of spices this ” Besanwali Bhindi ” not only tastes awesome but is also simple to make . As in my home we all are bhindi fans , anything made from bhindi vanishes in no time . Besan wali bhindi is nothing but the ladyfingers cooked with chickpea flour and many more Indian spices. We can say this besanwali bhindi as easy version for stuffed bhindi as taste wise they are almost same . The end result is a crisp outside soft inside masala coated bhindi that goes very well with chapatis or phulkas. This is also a no onion no garlic recipe. Do try this besan bhindi masala … i am sure you will love it.. here you go ….
BESAN BHINDI MASALA
- 1/4 kg bhindi / ladys finger
- 4 tbsps Gramflour/ besan
- Spice powders / Masala
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric / Haldi powder
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- to taste Salt
- 1 tsp Raw mango powder / amchoor
- 1.5 tsp Coriander/ Dhania powder
- 1 tsp Cumin /Jeera powder
- 1/2 tsp Fennel / Saunf powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala powder
To temper :
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Jeera Seeds
- a pinch of Hing /Asafoetida
- -4 tbsp Oil
- Wash, wipe the okra properly using dry kitchen cloth.Cut the head of Bhindi, and then length wise into two long slices.
- Dry roast besan on low medium heat till they slightly change color and are aromatic .This will take 3-4 mins.Transfer to a bowl and keep aside.
- To the roasted besan add all the spice powder except garam masala powder .ie add haldi , chilli powder, salt , dhania jeera saunf and amchoor powder . Mix well
- In a pan / kadai ,Keep oil.Add mustard and jeera.When they splutter,add hing and bhindi.Saute for 5-6 mins.
- Now sprinkle besan little by little, 1 tbsp at a time.Combine well so that no lumps are formed.Gradually add the rest of the gram flour while mixing the sabzi well.
- Add 1-2 tbsp of oil and mix everything well.
- Keep on low flame , cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until bhindi gets fully cooked but still crunchy. Keep stirring in intervals. If the sabzi becomes too dry and sticking to the pan , you can either add 1-2 tbsp oil or sprinkle few drops of water .
- Finally add garam masala powder saute for 1-2 mins and switch off.
- Serve hot Besanwali bhindi with phulka , chapathi or rice.
- The same masala can be used to make stuffed bhindi / ladys finger .
- If you want you can add an onion too while tempering .
- Roast besan in medium low flame only. Have some patience.Roasting the flour properly till you get nice aroma is an important step in this sabzi. Else in the end product, you might feel raw gramflour taste.Roasting them on high flame might also burn them..
- Authentic besanwali bhindi calls for more oil.If you are ok with it proceed n add. the quantity of oil makes a lot of difference to the texture and taste. However if you are calorie conscious, never mind. Cut a few tbsp of oil and instead sprinkle little water.
- To avoid bhindi turning slimy , dry / wipe the bhindi properly after washing . If the bhindi is wet , subzi will turn slimy .
- If you have time , after chopping the bhindi , its better to keep in fridge for about 1-2 hours . This will help in reducing sliminess more.
- Tender fresh bhindi taste best for this dish .