Today i have for you all a crispy , crunchy, delicious cookie that’s ideal for tea time . ” Cumin Cookies / Jeera Biscuits ” are my one of my favorite goodies from bakery . Lightly sweet and mildly salted with a tempting flavor of cumin .. these savory cookies tastes so yum and so easy to make too !! The aroma that spreads in the house while the jeera biscuits are getting baked .. Aaah love that cuminy flavor !!
One day i happened to stumble upon here , while searching for some recipe . It was there i saw these Jeera biscuits and bookmarked as must try . I’m glad that I tried them .. infact they turned perfect in my first attempt it self . That speaks how full proof this recipe is . After the successful first trial , i have made theses cookies quiet some time as I and my family loves it.You too give a try .. i am sure you too will love it.. Here you go…
- 1 cup All purpose flour /maida, + for dusting
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, at room temperature (little less than 1 stick)
- 1 tbsp Cumin/ Jeera Seeds
- 1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 - 4 tbsps Milk, at room temperature ( just to bring together the dough )
- Dry roast cumin seeds till they are crisp and aromatic. This may take 2-3 mins .
- Meanwhile ,In a bowl take butter and sugar powder . Whisk / beat well until its creamy and fluffy . It is very important to use butter at room emperature ..otherwise it will not come out nicely .
- Once the cumin seeds are roasted nicely , take a rolling pin and crush them coarsely and keep aside.
- Preheat the oven at 180c / 350 F for 10 minutes
- In a bowl sift all purpose flour.
- To that add salt and about 75 % of crushed roasted cumin seeds . We will be using the remaining cumin seeds later while rolling dough .
- Now add this maida mix to the beaten butter mix. Add dry ingredient to the wet ingredient in 2- 3 batches and with a help of whisk/ spatula / hand make a dough .If the dough is crumbly add about 2 tbsp of milk. Mix . Add more milk only if the mixture feels dry. if it is still dry then add 2 tablespoons more and mix . It should come together as soft dough but should not be sticky.
- Roll to make a smooth medium thick chapati.Sprinkle the remaining cumin seeds and lightly roll it.
- Take cookie cutter / sharp lid , dip into dry flour and cut into small biscuits .You can use any shape of size as per your choice. Gather the remaining scrapings, roll out again and repeat the process till the entire dough gets over.
- Spread a butter paper on the baking sheet and arrange biscuits over it .
- Bake them at 180 c or 350 F for 10 mins.After 10 mins , take out the cookies, set the temperature of the oven to 170 C or 325 F and bake for another 5-7 mins or till the cookies become golden brown . Baking at lower temperature makes the cookies crispy.
- Remove the cookies from the oven, allow it to cool completely .Store them in air tight containers and relish !!
- If you want you can use 50 : 50 proportion Maida n wheat flour .ie 1/2 cup maida n 1/2 cup wheat flour. but tastes best when made only with maida.
- I don't add baking soda to these cookies . If you want can add a pinch .
- Always use butter at room temperature.keep it on countertop for min 30 mins before using for making cookie.
- if you are reducing the butter quantity , you may have to increase milk quantity .
marudhus kitchenAugust 24, 2015 at 2:44 pm
perfectly made tea time snack
jAugust 24, 2015 at 2:47 pm
On small question, can this be baked on microwave oven Or it has to be done in a grill oven.Regards Srinivas.j
Smitha KallurayaAugust 25, 2015 at 5:45 am
i made it in grill oven… havent tried it in microwave
baluAugust 25, 2015 at 8:19 am
Looks awesome, will try this and let you know. Thanks
Sona SAugust 26, 2015 at 6:44 am
This has been on my list to try, looks so good..
SwatiAugust 27, 2015 at 7:09 am
Can this cookie be made with no sugar? In fact, with spices?
Smitha KallurayaAugust 27, 2015 at 10:40 am
yes u can swati.. it will savory version
Shwetha KJanuary 4, 2016 at 1:44 pm
hi.. i am a beginner in baking. i hav a convection oven.. should i use convection mode for baking the cookies or comb of convetion and gril..? tia
Smitha KallurayaFebruary 3, 2016 at 6:58 am
i havent used convection oven…
kamla masalawallaOctober 17, 2016 at 1:56 am
lovely cookies and so easy to make will try the spicy version too .
DeekshaSeptember 23, 2020 at 1:49 pm
This look so crispy and tasty. Thank you so much for the recipe.
kwik foodsDecember 21, 2020 at 3:57 pm
thank you so much your blog is very helpful nice posts please share sum new idea and cooking easy tips for dal tadka Making daily cooking quick, easy & effortless, while making sure the food is super fresh & Healthy. .