I am a huge fan of Chaats ,Street foods and snacks. If anything from this category is offered i just forget the word “DIET” , “CALORIES”…. and just hog hog n hog .. What to do they are so addictive . I’m sure many of you sail in the same boat as mine . Kachori is definitely one such snack that i can die for. Crispy n flaky out side, spicy, tangy and mildly sweet inside. Kachoris can be made with various stuffings and today i share with you all ” Recipe for Dry Fruit Kachori “.Writing this post i’m drooling and craving to make a fresh batch of some more dry kachoris and relish..
Though Kachoris are native to Rajasthan , this dry fruit kachoris are something very famous in Gujarat. Unlike normal kachoris, these dry fruit Kachoris have long shelf life and can be stored for few weeks to couple of month. Its also little sweetish when compared to normal ones. They are typically tangy, spicy and sweetish with bursting flavors of coriander,fennel ,sesame and poppy seeds.Rich in flavor and mouthwatering taste makes this Dry fruit Kachori a favorite snack with tea /coffee , at parties and for festivities. Though a bit time consuming to make ,the end result is well worth the effort!! Next time if you have to impress anyone with your cooking,serve this snack and i’m sure they would tell – ” Wow !! You did it at home ..just can’t believe …Its so Yummy …”So lets begin step by step recipe of Dry Fruit Kachori
DRY FRUIT KACHORI
For the dough
- 1 and 1/2 cups Maida All purpose flour
- 1 tbsp Sooji /Semolina
- 2 tbsps Oil/ Ghee
- 1/4 tsp Ajwain seeds / carom seeds
- 1 tsp Salt
- Ice cold water to knead
- Oil for deep frying
For The filling
- 1/2 cup Plain Sev /Thick Mixture (Gathiya) or crushed slightly to a coarse powder
- 2 - 3 tbsps Cashew nuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsps Almonds, roughly chopped
- 2 - 3 tbsps Raisins
- 2 - 3 tbsps Dry coconut / kopra grated
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds saunf
- 1 tablespoon Coriander Seeds Dhania, (slightly crushed)
- 1 Tsp White Sesame seeds / til
- 1/2 teaspoon Poppy Seeds /khuskhus
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Aamchoor / Dry Mango Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder /Haldi
- 2 - 3 tsps Red chilli powder
- 1 - 2 tsps Powdered Sugar, (optional )
- 1 tablespoons Tamarind Date Chutney /Sweet Chutney
- 2 tsp Oil
- to taste Salt, ( be careful, sev has salt,chutney has salt )
For the dough
- Take maida, sooji, salt, ajwain and oil in a bowl.Mix nicely with the tips of your fingers.It will become like breadcrumb.
- Add ice cold water and make a tight dough. ( This is an important point to keep in mind. If the dough is soft, the texture of the outer skin will not come good )
- Cover with damp cloth and keep the dough aside for 15-20 minutes.
For the filling
- Crush thick mixture (gathiya) or sev to medium coarse powder.
- Take a pan. Heat Oil. Slightly saute cashew,almonds and raisins.
- Later to the mixed nuts add grated kopra,fennel seeds,crushed coriander,white sesame,poppy seeds,haldi,red chilli powder,sugar powder,aamchoor powder,garam masala powder.Mix everything and saute for 30 sec - 1min.
- Then add the crushed sev,gathia ,sweet chutney and very little salt.Mix everything and saute for a min. .Taste test. The mixture should be spicy, tangy and sweetish.Switch off.
- Stuffing for dry fruit kachori is ready. Allow it to cool.
To make Kachoris
- Divide the kachori dough to small lemon size balls.
- Dust and roll out each ball lightly into thick circular puri. Don't make it thin.
- Put 1-2 teaspoons stuffing mixture in the center of puri,bring its ends together and seal its edges nicely. Slightly press with hand or roll lightly to flatten the stuffed balls .
- Heat oil over medium flame to deep fry kachori.When the oil is just hot, slide the kachories in the pan.Cook on low heat till lightly browned from both the sides.Remove on a tissue paper and let cool.
- Crispy and spicy dry fruit kachori is ready. Serve as such or with chutnies. Store in air tight container stays good for months.
- Ice cold water is used for dough to knead as it makes the kachori crisp and flaky. You can use warm water too but ice cold water gives more better results.
- The dough should be made really tough else they will not become crispy and also will drink oil.
- The oil should not be too hot while dropping kachoris in it.It will not be crisp if the oil is too hot.It should be such that when you drop some dough it should come up slowly, if the dough comes up too fast the oil is too hot.
- To make outer shell crisp and cook evenly, deep fry it over low flame.Deep frying it over medium or high flame will make small bubbles on its outer surface leaving inner surface uncooked.
- Instead of Sev or thick mixture you can use roasted gramflour but the taste varies.
- If you don't like sweetish taste, cut powder sugar but don't remove sweet chutney.
- With the same stuffing you can do samosa too.
- Instead of deep frying , you can bake them too .Grease them a bit, place on parchment sheet and bake in preheated oven for 15-20 mins at 180 c. Flip and bake for 3-5 min .