Genasale recipe with step by step photos | How to do Genasale | Kayi Kadubu recipe with step by step photos | How to do Patholi
Genasale / Eeradde / Kayi Kadubu – is a traditional delicacy where in rice batter is filled with coconut and jaggery mixture, wrapped in Turmeric / Banana leaves and steam cooked . Turmeric / Banana leaf gives tempting aroma and taste to this Genasale , making it mouth watering .Its known as Patholi in Konkani .
What is Genasale ?
Genasale / Kayi Kadubu is basically rice rolls / dumplings stuffed with fresh coconut and jaggery mixture and steamed in turmeric leaf / banana leaf. They are commonly made in Karnataka ,Maharashtra , Konkan and Goan region. They are also known as Patholi and Eeradde.
Soaked rice is ground into thick batter and evenly spread on turmeric leaf / banana leaf. Later a jaggery coconut mixture is spread on the rice batter and the leaf is folded gently , placed in a steamer and steam cooked .
It’s Oil free , steamed cook .. making it a healthy guilt free indulgence.
We cook eeradde in turmeric leaf on Nagarapanchami and offer it as naivedhyam to snake god. Some people make it for Ganesha Chaturthi and Dussera .
There is another version of this dish – eeradde made without leaves which I will post sometime. In case you don’t get turmeric leaf, you can use banana leaf, but it tastes heavenly when cooked with turmeric leaves.
Turmeric leaves or Arishina Ele are very aromatic and this aroma is transferred to the sweet dish. The health benefits of turmeric are universally known. The aroma fragrance it imparts to any dish is versatile.When steaming these delicacies, the whole house smells divine and i am sure, you have to keep aside a few for your neighbours.
Making of Genasale is little time consuming , but the end result is worth it .
Video Recipe of Genasale recipe:
Ingredients for Genasale recipe:
- Rice –You can use sona masoorie or Dosa rice in this recipe.
- Coconut – Use fresh grated coconut only . In case you don’t have access to fresh ones , you can use frozen .
- Jaggery – Do not replace jaggery with sugar.
- Cardamom powder – for extra flavour.
- Turmeric / Banana Leaf – for steaming the kadubu s . Try making with turmeric leaf for extra flavour.
Genasale recipe with Step by step photos :
Wash & soak rice in water for 3-4 hours
Drain the water and transfer soaked rice to a mixer jar . Add coconut , salt and very little water .
grind everything to a smooth batter . Transfer to a bowl .
Check the consistency of the batter . It should not be too thin .The batter consistency should be thick (thicker than milkshake).If required add 2-3 tbsp water to adjust consistency.
To prepare the stuffing , Heat a pan ,add jaggery
Add 1/2 cup of water and let it dissolve completely.
Now add grated coconut and mix it well.
Cook till coconut jaggery mix becomes dry and all the moisture evaporates .Add cardamom powder. Stuffing for kayi kadubu is ready . Keep aside coconut jaggery mix to cool .
Clean all the leaves,wipe them with kitchen towel and now its ready for stuffing. If the turmeric leaf / banana leaf are too long, you can cut them into two horizontally and use it for filling.
Arrange all the leaves in a row and start spreading the batter.Spread a table spoon of batter on each leaves as shown in the picture.Try to spread the batter evenly for the better results.
Now take some stuffing and nicely spread it in a single line.
On one half of the batter, spread the coconut-jaggery mixture evenly.If you want more sweet then you can add little more stuffing.
Proceed the same with all the leaves.
Meanwhile , take some water in the idli steamer and keep for boil.
Now gently fold the leaf in middle and press the edges so that the batter doesn’t flow out.you can either fold vertically or horizontally.Once done its ready for steaming. .
Gently place them in a steamer / idli stand and steam cook them for 15-20 minutes .
When the turmeric /banana leaves fades in color, its an indication that eeradde is almost done
Let them cool down a bit,peel off the leaf before you serve. Serve them with dash of Ghee and honey (optional).
Points to note while making Genasale / Kayi Kadubu :
- Grind batter to a very smooth paste .
- In case ,batter turned little watery you can add little rice flour / maida to thicken.
- The consistency of the batter is important. If it’s too thick genasale will turn hard and chewy. If it’s runny, you won’t be able to make kadubu.
- Short cut method to prepare outer covering : just prepare a batter from rice flour or maida. If you want can add a fistful of poha , grind and add.
- Make sure the idli steamer is ready with water boiling inside it.Do not place the genasale inside idli steamer before pre heating it.Doing so could make the batter flow out of the leaves after you place them in the steamer.
- Always arrange the eeradde in such a way that the steam passes through each and every eeradde while cooking
Genasale / Eeraddye / Kayi Kadubu / Patholi
- 2 Cups Rice, ( you can use any rice )
- 1/4 cup coconut
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 Cups Fresh coconut, grated
- 3/4 Cup Jaggery, (according to taste)
- ½ tsp Green Cardamom / Elaichi Powder
- Few Turmeric / Banana Leaves,
- Soak rice in water for 3-4 hours and then grind to smooth batter with coconut & salt ; without adding too much of water.
- The batter consistency should be thick(thicker than milkshake).
- Heat a pan ,add jaggery and 1/2 cup of water and let it dissolve completely.Now add grated coconut and mix it well.Cook till it becomes dry and all the moisture evaporates .Add cardamom powder. Stuffing is ready.
- Clean all the leaves,wipe them with kitchen towel and now its ready for stuffing.
- Now take some water in the idli steamer and keep for boil.
- Meanwhile arrange all the leaves in a row and start spreading the batter.Spread a table spoon of batter on each leaves as shown in the picture.Try to spread the batter evenly for the better results.
- Now take some stuffing and nicely spread it in a single line.The stuffing should be in the center.If you want more sweet then you can add little more stuffing.Fold it as shown in the pic
- Proceed the same with all the leaves.Once done its ready for steaming. you can either fold vertically or horizontally .
- Place them in a steamer / idli stand and steam cook them for 15 -20 minutes .When the turmeric /banana leaves fades in color, its an indication that eeradde is almost done .
- Let them cool down a bit,peel off the leaf before you serve. Serve them with dash of Ghee and honey (optional).