Today i present to you a delicious traditional sweet of Karnataka – ” Halubai / Halbai ” . Halbai is a type halwa /burfi /fudge , which can be prepared from rice/wheat/ragi/poha/rava. They taste like halwa but are served in the shape of burfis and are very tooth friendly.Today i would be sharing rice halbai.
Though making this traditional sweet requires only a few ingredients, but its considered a quiet tedious process.If the ingredients are not as per proportion / right consistency is not achieved they turn sticky.I don’t feel they are very tough to make but the only boring thing is you need to constantly keep on stirring them .It calls for your undivided attention.As the mixture thickens,it gets harder to stir.But trust me the end result would be great .
I have shared another variation on Halbai .. ie Rava mango Halbai and today it’s akki halbai . Don’t go by its appearance.. Halbai is not at all a colorful dish.. nor photogenic 🙂 … I’ve tried to add some color to the dish by making the background colorful …The full recipe is here and I hope you enjoy this classic Rice Halbai recipe with step by step pics .. many people make halbai for nagarapanchami too .
Check Out the Video recipe here :
You may also see other dessert recipes like 7 Cup ,papaya halwa, carrot halwa, etc ..
HALUBAI / HALBAI
- 1 cup Rice, ( normal rice )
- 3/4 cup coconut, Grated
- 3/4 – 1 cup Jaggery, (can add more if you have a sweet tooth )
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 3 – 4 nos Cardamom
- 3 cup Water, including the amount used for grinding
- Soak rice for about 2-4 hours.
- Grind rice,coconut ,jaggery , salt and cardamom to a very fine paste by adding little water.
- Transfer the batter to a nonstick kadai / heavy bottom kadai. Add remaining quantity of water. Total for 1 cup of water we need 3 cup of water .. ie 1: 3 proportion . The batter should be like thin like neer dosa batter consistency .
- Keep on low-medium flame and stir the mixture continuously ensuring that no lumps are formed.
- Add ghee in steps and continue stirring the mixture till it forms a mass of ball and starts leaving the sides of kadai. This will take about 15-20 mins.
- Grease a plate with ghee and transfer the mass to the plate .Spread the mixture evenly using a spatula and smoothen the surface.
- Once warm,cut halbai into desired shape and serve warm /cold.Can be stored for 4 days if refrigerated. ..
- You can replace rice with wheat /ragi /poha/rava.
- Before taking it off the pan, do a test.Take a tsp of mix and spread it on a greased plate. It should be able to come off without sticking .Then its done. or You can also test it this way: if you touch a tsp of mix with wet hands, it should not stick. Then its done.
Vidya ChandrahasJanuary 2, 2014 at 12:49 pm
Beautifully done…Halubai looks super delicious Smitha.
Sapana BehlJanuary 2, 2014 at 3:12 pm
New to me , looks yummy….
Sathya PriyaJanuary 2, 2014 at 4:42 pm
I guess karnataka has more rice dishes in breakfast except idly,dosas right .This one too is an exception among the other desserts ,very unique halubai …
Asiya OmarJanuary 3, 2014 at 7:12 am
Very new .Happy new year.
remya seanJanuary 3, 2014 at 8:35 am
for me it is new….delicious n healthy..
Smitha KallurayaJanuary 3, 2014 at 9:08 am
Yes Sathya. . u r right . We have many options for bfast. ill b sharing one by one..
VeenaJanuary 3, 2014 at 12:02 pm
Happy 2014 !!My fav. tooo just love this but hallubai with wheat tastes yum yum
PinkyJanuary 3, 2014 at 3:56 pm
Its very new to me Smitha…Want to try for sure. Thanks for sharing. And Thanks for ur participation also…:)
Nalini SomayajiJanuary 3, 2014 at 5:06 pm
Nice traditional sweet Halubai looks yemmy ..Smitha Kalluraya…Happy New Year …2014
Linsy PatelJanuary 3, 2014 at 11:48 pm
Lovely halwa, will try with rava.
Eli ZJanuary 4, 2014 at 6:39 pm
That is one impressive looking dish! We make halva in Greece too, and it is called the same! But will test out yours the next time- looks yummy:-) Happy New Year, dear Smitha:-)
Smitha KallurayaJanuary 5, 2014 at 10:51 am
Happy new yr to u to Veena !! For me each has a distinct taste .. be it rice/ragi or wheat. nxt wil try sharing some other version of this..
nandoos KitchenJanuary 5, 2014 at 12:46 pm
this is very new to me and it is looking yumm.
Maha GaddeJanuary 6, 2014 at 3:58 am
interesting really.looks very easy to make n delicious of course..:)
Subha BoseJanuary 6, 2014 at 4:05 pm
Nice recipe to start the year.
thelady8homeJanuary 7, 2014 at 4:55 pm
What an awesome looking recipe!! Totally yummm!! Happy New year!
SmishriJanuary 24, 2014 at 8:47 am
lovely recipe..will try this one!!
SmishriJanuary 24, 2014 at 8:48 am
Delicious recipe..will try this one!!
Vibha SpMay 26, 2014 at 9:03 am
new to me also , an easy sweet will try it surely smitha
Sowmya SundararajanAugust 16, 2014 at 10:53 am
Smitha, Nice recipe. But just want to know if the end product has a smooth mouth feel like Kaju Kathli or is it slightly harder like the Maida cake?
Smitha KallurayaAugust 17, 2014 at 9:47 am
Hi Sowmya,The end result would be very smooth…
smitish hanchinalSeptember 7, 2016 at 4:58 pm
Hi smitha how to make ginna halu hallbai