Today i am sharing with you all a very delicious and a very popular cookie – ” Tutti Frutti Cookies / Fruit Cookies ” . These cookies are also known as ” Karachi Biscuits ” . These are so colorful that kids will surely get attracted to it. I am sure not only kids , but many of us too are fond of this famous Hyderabad cookies . The flavor and taste of them is just Wow !! I saw this recipe here and knew I had to try it out soon. Bang On !! These colourful and beautiful cookies were so easy to make at home . My kids just loved it . You too give a try …. i am confident your kids too will love them !! So lets get started :
EGGLESS TUTTI FRUTTI COOKIES
Colorful , eggfree Tutti frutti Cookies / Karachi biscuits
- 1.5 cups All purpose flour/ maida
- 1/2 cup custard powder, ( Vanilla / Any flavour )
- 1 cup Powdered sugar / castor sugar
- 1/2 cup Butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup tutti frutti
- 1/4 cup Cashews, chopped
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Rose/ Pineapple essence , ( I prefer rose essence )
- 3 - 5 Tbsps Milk
- In a bowl take butter and sugar powder . Whisk well until its creamy and fluffy .
- Now add 3 tbsp milk and rose essence and mix well .
- In another bowl , sieve maida , custard powder and baking powder .
- To the sieved mix , add tutti frutti and chopped cashews. Mix well .
- Now add this maida mix to the beaten butter mix. Add dry ingredient to the wet ingredient in 2- 3 batches and with a help of whisk/ spatula / hand make a dough .No need to knead the dough much you just have to make a dough .if the dough is crumbly , add 1 more tbsp milk .the dough has to be non sticky.
- Divide the dough into 2 parts and roll the dough to cylindrical log shape and wrap it in polythene cover / cling film .Refrigerate the covered logs for 2-3 hours / till they become hard .
- After 2-3 hours , remove the log and cut into 1/2 inch thick roundels.Use a sharp knife else the cookies may break while cutting .
- Preheat the oven at 180c for 10 minutes .
- Arrange the cookies on the baking tray lined with parchment paper. Leave some space in between .
- Place the tray in the middle rack and bake the cookies in 180 c for 15 min / till the edges starts getting golden brown .
- Remove the cookies from the tray and let it cool completely.Initially they look soft when hot but after 30-40 mins , they will become crunchy and tasty only after they are cooled completely.
- Store the cookies in an air tight container and relish !!! Stays good for atleast 5-6 days ( it gets vanished before that !! )
- As a variation you can add orange juice instead of milk and orange zest instead of essence.
- If you don't have tutti fruttis you may replace it with cashews , nuts , raisins etc .
- Keeping the cookie dough in the fridge will harden it. You can cut into desired shape later easily .
- Use a sharp knife to get a smooth finish on the cookies.While cutting the cookies,cookies may crumble lightly. Use your fingers and press gently on the cracks. It will be fine.
- The baking time may vary a bit . You should bake till the sides of cookie turn golden brown .it may take 15-20 mins depending on your oven.
- increase the butter quantity to 3/4th cup if you are ok for more better texture .
- Don't add 5 tbsp of milk at once. We dont want our dough to become moist. Add 3 tbsp first and later if required add 1-2 tbsp more.
Sathya PriyaJune 29, 2015 at 7:27 pm
crispy,tasty cookies smitha.
marudhus kitchenJune 30, 2015 at 2:38 am
Sweet fruits in each bite..yumm
Ramya VenkateswaranJune 30, 2015 at 3:20 am
wow one of my favorites
Rafeeda ARJune 30, 2015 at 4:38 am
Oh just look at them! So much like store bought…
AnonymousJune 30, 2015 at 5:51 am
Can this be baked I microwave, can you guide pls
remaJune 30, 2015 at 7:18 am
Thanks for sharing the recepie..i love karachi biscuits.. Shal try this.y
DhivyaJune 30, 2015 at 7:36 am
Can maida be replaced with Wheat Flour or any otr thing ?
Smitha KallurayaJune 30, 2015 at 11:21 am
@Dhivya… ya u can replace maida with wheat flour…
rachelJune 30, 2015 at 8:11 pm
Thanks for posting a detailed recipe ! can’t wait to try it 🙂
Meri RasoiJuly 1, 2015 at 1:38 am
Delicious Cookies..loved it:)
Sony PJuly 1, 2015 at 3:19 am
Looks super crunchy and yummy!
VP JayanthiJuly 3, 2015 at 3:48 am
Thanks for your detailed explanation of the recipe, will try for sure.
Jeena surajJuly 5, 2015 at 9:20 am
Wow, delicious cookies, well explained and yummmm..
GrandeMarineNovember 8, 2015 at 3:15 pm
Test it twice and love it!! I just don’t put custard (we don’t find it in France) and put chocolate crisp or toffee and it’s so so good!!!
chefNovember 10, 2015 at 7:09 pm
Hi Smitha,I tried this recipe, tastes awesome!But the cookies size expanded a lot when I was baking in the oven, any idea what would have went wrong?
Smitha KallurayaNovember 11, 2015 at 1:41 pm
May be the amount of butter / baking powder was more
RekhaDecember 25, 2015 at 2:04 pm
Awesome recipe. A at our house. I have taken photo but do nit know how to post here. Thank you so so much for the recipe.
vinayFebruary 1, 2016 at 3:17 pm
Thanks smitha..my whole family and friends loved it..
Veena ShenoyFebruary 15, 2016 at 8:30 am
Tried ur recipe …everything was d same …BT I wen baked it fr 10min..top part was v.soft n so baked fr another 2 min…started burning …so stopped d microwave inbeteen …now after cool the biscuits hv turned v.hard like rusk !!
Smitha KallurayaFebruary 18, 2016 at 3:23 am
ya after baking initially it will be little soft wen hot . once cool it will turn crisp. may be you over bake thats y gt hard
vineeJanuary 12, 2017 at 7:42 am
hi… can v skip custard powder in karachi biscuit? wat will be the difference of non using of it?
Smitha KallurayaJanuary 16, 2017 at 3:08 am
its needed to give desired crunchiness..
BhagyashriJanuary 18, 2017 at 12:10 pm
I dnt have oven… What should i do.. ?
SanjanaFebruary 12, 2017 at 11:39 pm
I used the exact same measurements in the recipe to the most detail. But the biscuits just flattened out all over the plate. Very disappointed. Please tell me if there is anything we could do about it for it be better.