Today i have for you all a very famous dish from Coastal Karnataka .. ” Jackfruit Idli ” . They are locally known as ” Halasina Hannina Idli / Kadubu / Gatti ” . No points for guessing who the hero of the dish is … of course the seasonal fruit Ripe JackFruit. Soft and flavourful with distinct aroma of jackfruit these idlis taste just divine . Traditionally over riped jackfruit ( tuluve hannu ) is used to make these idlis and are steamed in banana leaves / teak leaves which adds an amazing aroma & taste. They are best had steaming hot with ghee on top and / or honey on side . Since i don’t like ghee nor have sweet tooth , i relish these jackruit idlis plain or with mango pickle . Tastes so yum !!!
Do check out the Jackfruit Idli Video Here :
If you happen to visit my native in this season , each house will surely offer you something made from Jack fruit . With almost every house ,having a jackfruit tree in its backyard , this fruit’s part and parcel of their life.
Few points to note while making Jackfruit Idli :
- If you don’t have rice rava, you can make it at home like this: Soak raw rice for 1 hour. Drain water completely. Spread it on a cloth or paper towel for about 10 mins,so that the grains become dry. Grind the rice in a mixer to a coarse consistency.Home made rice rava is ready..
- Instead of rice rava you can do this with normal upma rava too. Procedure is same . just roast rava lightly and add.
- The batter of idli should not be watery. Else it will be mushy and soggy .
- Don’t cut on the fruit quantity or coconut quantity . Else idlis will turn hard . In case you don’t have sufficient fruit , increase coconut quantity .
- If you still want to cut the coconut quantity and don’ t have adequate fruit.. you can add a pinch of baking soda to the batter . Your idlis will turn soft .
- When idlis are done, remove the lid and set aside for 5 minutes so that you can de mould the idlis easily without breaking it.
I have already shared few jackfuit dishes here like Jackfruit Mulik , jackfruit sambar,Jackfruit Stir fry,Jack seeds rasam etc and today its time for another traditional dish . Do give a try ..i am sure you will love it.. here you go …
JACKRUIT IDLI / KADUBU
- 1 cup Raw Rice / Rice Rava
- 2 - 2.5 cup Ripe jackfruit
- 1 cup coconut, ; grated
- 1/2 cup Jaggery, (+/- depending on sweetness of fruit )
- 2 - 3 Elaichi/cardamom
- a pinch Nutmeg / jaikai
- a pinch Salt
- Ghee, to grease idli moulds
- Peel, deseed and chop jackfruit roughly. Don't throw away the jackfruit seeds. You can make yummy side dish like rasam and stir fry out of it
In a mixer, grind jackfruit pieces , coconut , jaggery, cardamom and nutmeg . No need to add any water. Jaggery will leave water as you grind.
make a smooth puree. Transfer the ground jackfruit puree into a mixing bowl .
Add rice rava, finely chopped jackfruit and salt to it . Mix everything well .
Add around 1/2 cup water to the blender jar , clean it and add it to the mixing bowl
- Allow the mixture to sit for 1-2 hour so that rice rava soaks well in the mix. After the mentioned time , check the consistency of the batter . It should be little thicker than idli batter No fermentation required.
Heat water in a steamer.Grease idli molds with ghee .Pour the batter into idli stand. In the authentic version , batter is steamed cooked in Teak leaves or banana leaves . But in cities they are not always available . So i have showed in idli mould .
- Steam for 15 mins on medium flame.Prick a tooth pick,if it comes clean ... its done.Allow it to cool a bit and remove from molds using a spoon or knife.
That's it.. Sweet Jackfruit Idlis are ready to serve. Serve them hot or warm with a dollop of ghee and or honey or pickle . Tastes divine...