Masala oats recipe with step by step photos | how to do Indian Masala Oats | Indian Savory oats Porridge
Masala Oats – Indian Masala Oats : Soupy spicy and colorful .. a bowl of porridge will be emptied in no time. Can have it for breakfast lunch or dinner !! Healthy food needn’t be boring… this holds so true to a bowl of piping hot masala oats loaded with veggies!!
Check out the video here :
About Masala Oats :
Masala Oats is simple, healthy and tasty Indian version savory porridge made by cooking oats with veggies, masala and spices . Soupy spicy and colorful .. a bowl of porridge will be emptied in no time. Can have it for breakfast lunch or dinner .
Made in minutes , but keeps you full for hours . A fulfilling healthy dish that is loaded with fiber ,high on nutrition and low on calories.. a perfect choice especially if you are in the weight loss journey .
I am not a big fan of oats. Oats are known for their health benefits because of its dietary fibers, iron and cholesterol reducing agents. After knowing that they have so many health benefits and is good for weight loss i started including oats in my diet from past few years.
In market we get various brands of ready to cook masala oats . But they are expensive and trust me definitely not as tasty as made at home .Make at home with your choice of veggies ,with your preferred masala and spice levels , you will surely stop buying the readymade ones .
Masala oats recipe with step by step photos
- To a kadai / pan , add quick cooking or rolled oats . Dry roast for 2-3 mins on low medium flame .
- Let they get aromatic , keep aside.
- To the same pan , add 1-2 tsp oil . Let it heat , Add jeera , let it splutter . Later add chopped onion , ginger garlic paste and green chilli . Saute for a minute , let raw smell go .
- Add chopped tomato . let it soften a bit .
- Next add choice of finely chopped veggies . I added beans ,carrot , peas and capsicum . Add tsp of salt and give a quick saute .
- Add haldi , little red chilli powder and tsp of maggie taste maker / garam masala. Tastes more good with taste maker . Combine , cover and cook for 2-3 mins . Maintain crunchiness of veggies . They need not over cook .
- Add around 2-2.5 cup ,salt to taste and bring to boil .
- Once water starts boiling , add roasted oats . Give a quick mix . Cover and cook for 1-2 mins . Since we are using quick oats ( normal oats that we get in India ) , cooking time is short
- Oats would have cooked now , the porridge would have thickened , soupy consistency . Switch off and serve immediately as it will thicken more as it cools . Garnish with coriander leaves
- Enjoy Masala oats hot .
Points to note while making this Indian Masala Oats :
- I usually use rolled oats or quick oats for this as they are quick to cook. You can use steel cut oats too. But the cooking time varies in that case .
- Roasting oats few minutes till aromatic makes it more tasty and avoids that typical oats sliminess.
- Some of the common veggie that you can use are beans , carrot , peas , corn , capsicum , cauliflower etc . you can use which ever veggie you like or have handy .
- The masala used in the flavoring this bland oats makes a great change in the final taste . You can add pav bhaji masala / kitchen king masala / garam masala or maggie masala taste maker . My personal choice is maggi masala as it tastes best. .
- Make it Little soupy for best taste.
- 1 cup Quick or rolled Oats
- 1-2 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds / Jeera
- 1 small Onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1-2 nos Green Chilli, chopped
- 1 medium size Tomato, chopped
- 1/2-3/4 cup Veggies of choice ( beans , carrot , peas , corn , capsicum ) etc, Chopped
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Haldi
- tsp Maggi Taste maker / pav bhaji masala / Kitchen king masala
- Salt to taste
- few Coriander leaves
- Dry roast oats for 2-3 mins on low flame . Let it be aromatic . Keep aside .
- Add Oil to a kadai / pan . Add jeera . Let it splutter.
- Add onion , ginger garlic paste and chilli . Sauté for a minute .
- Add tomato , let they get soft .
- Add chopped veggies like beans , carrot , capsicum and peas . Add salt to taste .
- Later add haldi , red chilli powder and Maggie taste maker / garam masala . Fry for a minute . Cover and cook for a minute or two . Maintain the crunchiness of veggies , no need to over cook .
- Add water and bring to boil .
- To the boiling water , add roasted oats . Mix , cover and cook for 2-3 mins .
- lastly add coriander leaves .
- Enjoy hot and soupy Masala oats .