Today’s post – Oats Kozhukattai Recipe is a fulfilling healthy dish that is loaded with fiber ,high on nutrition and low on calories..a perfect choice for all those who are looking for a healthy wholesome quick breakfast recipe. Addition of veggies makes it colorful,more nutritious and more yummy .
If you are like me who hate oats for its gooey mushy texture .. then this Oats Kozhukattai is just for you .. yes it’s a absolute winner when it comes to non sticky texture and takes hardly 10 mins to prepare !!!
Oats are known for their health benefits because of its dietary fibers, iron and cholesterol reducing agents. After knowing that they have so many health benefits and is good for weight loss i started including oats in my diet from past few years.
I am not a big fan of oats. I can’t eat oats with milk and fruits .Over the years i have accepted oats in few dishes like Oats upma , oats dosa , oats idli etc and of course this oats steamed dumplings .
I learnt this dish in one of the facebook groups so many years before .During that time , i was looking for ways to include oats in my diet .When i read the recipe .. i was sure it would turn good . So bookmarked to try once .When i did with few changes as per my liking , it turned beyond my expectations and everyone in my family liked it .There was no stickiness or gooeyness of oats . Since then , it has become my family’s one of favorite oats recipe . Even yesterday , when i made and shared pic with my friends , the same day so many of them tried and gave a bigs thumbsup … I said you right .. it’s a absolute winner and everyone will like it .
Few points to note while making Oats Kozhukattai :
- I use quick cooking oats. If you are using rolled oats or steel cut oats, you can increase a bit water quantity.Also steaming time will increase by 1- 2mins .
- Remember always water quantity should be less than oats quantity .
- You can skip the vegetables and just make it as plain too.If you want you can 2-3 tbsp grated coconut too.
- You can use precooked veggies too.
- You can dry roast oats before itself and store it so that its easier to make during the morning hours.
- Tastes best when served hot . after cooling it gets hard a bit
So are you all ready to try out these healthy dumplings in your kitchen ? And yes as always don’t forget to share you feedback.. Here we go…
OATS KOZHUKATTAI RECIPE / STEAMED INDIAN OATS DUMPLING
- 1.5 cup Quick cooking Oats
- 1 cup Water
- few Green Peas/ Corn, optional
- 3-4 tbsp Carrot / beans / capsicum / greens / all, finely chopped ; optional
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 tsp any oil / Coconut oil, coconut oil pref
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad dal
- 1/2 tsp bengal gram / chana dal
- few Curry Leaves
- small piece Ginger, grated
- 2-3 nos Green Chilli, Finely Chopped
- Take a pan and dry roast oats for 2-3 mins on medium flame till its aromatic .Keep it aside .
- Take a kadai / pan . Heat oil . Splutter mustard seeds , urad dal and channa dal . Add curry leaves , green chillies and ginger . Saute for a minute . Add peas , finely chopped veggies / greens and salt . Saute for 2-3 mins .
- Add water and bring to boil .
- When its boiling add roasted oats , mix and allow to cook for 1-2 mins .
- Afer 1-2 mins , oats get cooked and becomes a mass . Switch off and let it cool a bit so that you can handle easily .
- In a bowl take some water . Wet your hand and make small small dumplings of oats mixture . If it is too dry and you are finding difficulty shaping , sprinkle little water and shape . Place in greased plate and steam cook for 3-4 mins in a steamer .
- Enjoy hot Oats Kozhukattai / Oats kadubu with your choice of chutney / sambar .