Masala Puri Chaat Recipe | How to do Karnataka style Masala Puri Chaat | Bangalore Mysore style Masala Puri Chaat Recipe with step by step photos | Masala Puri video recipe
Street food captures the heart and soul of any city.. isn’t it? They are always famous irrespective of age and is enjoyed by one and all. Every city has its signature street food and Bangalore is no exception. Here you’ll find some unusual chaats which are popular in Karnataka but not known to many outsides. Those who have been to Bangalore can vouch for a bhelpuri stall in every street corner. These stalls have varieties of snacks like Panipuri, floating pain puri, sukha puri…etc etc. I would like to share with you all today authentic street style Masala puri chaat recipe. Crushed crispy puri mixed with yummax flavourful spicy gravy of boiled peas & topped with chopped onions, tomatoes, coriander and lastly lots of sev/ mixture. Now who would want to say no to this?I am crazy for spicy masala puri and there is space for it always ????????… How about you??
Masala puri is very popular throughout Karnataka and most of them love this spicy chaat. I am sure..like me, many of you must be having beautiful memories associated with this delicious chaat. Making Masala puri is actually very easy but may look a little lengthy when you see the first time. Trust me it’s actually not. The key to make delicious Masala puri lies in the aromatic flavorful gravy made from dried green peas in the making of it. Once that is ready, assembling this chaat is super easy . That divine feeling of relishing a perfect plate of hot masal puri topped with lots of crunchy onion, carrot and lots of sev….nothing can beat it !!!
Few simple points to note while making this Masala puri are as follows :
- In the authentic masala puri, always dried green peas is used. In case you don’t have them, can use fresh peas or white peas .
- You can replace potatoes with carrot .
- If you want can sprinkle finely chopped cucumber or just keep a cucumber slice or a papadi for some extra crunch.
- If you want can drizzle few drops of sweet chutney, green chutney and a tsp of thick curd while assembling masala puri.
- Always serve masala puri as soon as you assemble it or else puri becomes soggy & also hot masala puri tastes best.
- I add 1/2 tsp of sugar towards the end as it balances the taste of the gravy and makes it tastier.
Do try making this tasty Karnataka style Masala puri at home following this easy recipe ..
Check Out the MASALA PURI Video recipe here :
you can also check other Chaat like Nippattu Masala, Tomato masala, Aloo chaat etc
MASALA PURI CHAAT RECIPE / MASALA PURI RECIPE
- 1 Cup Dried Green Peas
- 2 medium size potato, peeled
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric/ Haldi
to make Masala :
- 2-3 tsp Oil
- tsp Cumin Seeds /Jeera
- 1-2 piece Cinnamon/ dalchini
- 3-4 nos Cloves/ Lavang
- 1 no Kapok bud / Marathi moggu, ( optional )
- 1 small piece Kalpassi / Kallu hoovu ( optional )
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1 big onion, Sliced
- 5-8 flakes Garlic
- 2 piece Ginger
- 3-5 nos Green Chillies, based on your preference
- 2 medium size Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Mint leaves/ pudina
- 3/4 cup Coriander leaves
- 1/2 tsp black salt / kala namak
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder / Dhania powder
- 1/2 tsp Aamchoor powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala powder
- 1/2 tsp Chaat masala
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- Salt to taste
to Serve / Assemble
- few Puri
- little onion, finely chopped
- little Grated Carrot
- little Tomato ; , finely chopped
- little Coriander leaves, finely chopped
- a pinch of black salt / kala namak
- a pinch of Chaat masala
- few drops lime, (optional)
- sev or Mixture
- Wash and soak Dried Green Peas overnight.
- To begin with, first, we will be making the gravy. Add soaked green peas, peeled potato in a pressure cooker. Add required water, tsp of salt and turmeric. Pressure cook 4-5 whistles.
- Once pressure releases, open the cooker & keep cooked potatoes aside.
- Cook peas such that it has retained shape and firm.. but when pressed mushy. Keep aside to be used later.
- Now we will be roasting few spices to grind and make masala.To begin with add 2-3 tsp oil to a pan / Kadai . Add a tsp of jeera, cloves, cinnamon, Kapok bud( Marathi moggu) , Kalpassi / Kallu hoovu . Saute for 1-2 mins.
- Add sliced onion, ginger, garlic and chilli in a pan. Saute till raw smell goes
- Add in chopped tomato, little salt. Saute till mushy.
- Next, add in pudina and coriander leaves. Switch off and saute for 1-2 mins.
- Allow to cool.
- Transfer all the roasted ingredients into a mixer. Add in boiled potatoes and a ladle of cooked Peas. Add little water grind everything to a smooth paste.
- Next transfer the ground masala to the pan / kadai, add some water to mixer jar and add to pan .Keep it for boiling. masala paste
- Add in all the powders one by one ie salt to taste, black salt / kala namak, red chilli powder, Coriander powder,garam masala, Aamchoor powder, chaat masala, and Garam Masala powder. Mix everything nicely & bring to boil.Boil the gravy for about 10 - 15 mins on medium flame.
- Add in the remaining cooked green peas along with the cooked water. Add sugar .Mix .
- Continue to boil for 5 mins on sim. Adjust the consistency of the gravy by adding required water. Masala is ready;
- Masala gravy for Masala puri is ready. The consistency should be thin , once we add on puri ... it will thicken. Also let it be spicy to get the real taste .
- to make Masala Puri : Crush 5-7 puris or papdis in a plate and crush them.
- Top it with a laddle full of peas and thin masala gravy as required.
- Top it with some finely chopped Onion,little grated Carrot,little finely chopped Tomato ,little Coriander leaves. Squeeze few drops lime if you like tangy. Sprinkle a pinch of Black salt /Kala Namak and a pinch of Chaat Masala.
- Lastly , sprinkle some sev /mixture on top.
- Serve Bangalore-Mysore style masala puri immediately.
- Enjoy tasty Masala Puri Hot !!
Masala PuriDecember 17, 2020 at 9:53 pm
Simple and tasty i will try at home thanks for Uploading