Masoppu Recipe / How to do Karnataka style Masoppu recipe | Masoppu recipe with detailed step by step photo .
Being from Karnataka , i want ” Cook with Smile ” to be one stop destination for most of the Karnataka cuisine . So today i’ll share recipe of one more authentic Karnataka Dish ” Masoppu Saaru ” . Masoppu actually means ” Masida + Soppu – Mashed greens ” and saaru is Rasam / gravy ” . Basically it is a type of gravy where in tuvar dal and 3-4 different varieties mixed greens are cooked together along with few other spices and mashed. It is later boiled to get a very flavorful gravy that tastes amazing.Usually palak , dill leaves ( sabsige ) , Amaranthus , methi leaves etc are used to make masoppu .. but if you don’t have mixed greens available , you can use any 1 variety ..whichever is available. I had shared before soppina sambar and bassaru recipe .. those 2 greens curry is entirely different from today’s masoppu . Spicy Masoppu, little ghee, Ragi Mudde / Rice is one awesome combination…. a healthy meal in itself !!!
MASOPPU RECIPE / KARNATAKA STYLE SOPPU SAARU RECIPE (
- 3 cups Mixed green leaves, Palak+amaranthus +methi+dill etc. whichever is available
- 1 cup Spit pigeon pea /Tuvar dal
- 1 big size onion
- 1 medium size tomato
- 3-4 nos Green Chilli
- 4-5 flakes Garlic
- 2-3 tbsp coconut, grated
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds /Jeera
- a big pinch Turmeric powder /Haldi
- Small gooseberry sized Tamarind
- 1 tsp Rasam powder
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tsp Cooking oil / ghee
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- few Curry Leaves
- a big pinch of Asafoetida/ hing
Clean and roughly chop 3-4 different types of greens like Palak , Dill leaves ( sabsige soppu ), methi , amaranthus ( harive soppu / dantina soppu ) , chakotha or which ever greens is available .
Add water and turmeric to tuvar dal and Cook .
To the cooked dal , add chopped greens , diced onion , diced tomato , green chilli , garlic , jeera , coconut and tamarind . Pressure cook 2 whistles .
Open the pressure cooker .. once the pressure releases .
Once the pressure releases , mash it using a masher or hand blender or if using a mixie , pulse 1-2 mins . Don't make super paste .
- Add salt to taste , tsp of rasam powder and water as required . Bring it to boil . Finally temper with mustard , hing and curry leaves .
Masoppu is ready . Relish it with hot rice or ragi mudde .
- If you don't get mixed greens , you can make masoppu using spinach / Spinach + methi / spinach + dill etc . Typically a mix of different variety of greens is used for masoppu .
- I don't like to mash masoppu like a puree or soup . So prefer using a masher to mash greens and dal .
- In the above recipe , quantity of onion n garlic can be adjusted according to your pref .