What does comfort food mean to you ? For me .. it’s alway’s simple home cooked everyday food. Today’s post ” SOPPINA MAJJIGE HULI MOR KEERAI / KEERAI MOR KOOTU ” is one such comforting traditional dish.. that is very popular in SouthIndia . Made from greens and yoghurt ..it’s a great way to include greens in your diet. Mor Keerai recipe can be done using spinach or any green leafy vegetable or amaranth or using mixed greens . Here I have used amaranth leaves ( harive soppu) . Enjoy it as an accompaniment for rice.
I have earlier shared many Kootu recipes and majjige huli recipes with you all. Basically in Karnataka there are two variations of making majjige huli. Bangalore/Mysore version and Udupi/Mangalore version. Mangalore version is mild,simple.And the Bangalore /Mysore version takes in more spices and ingredients. With mildly spiced and flavored , creamy texture from coconut .. this soppina majjige huli or mor keerai kootu tastes really tasty . Since it’s a no onion no garlic dish one can make it for any festivals too . So are you ready to try this simple and comforting curry … here you go …
MOR KEERAI RECIPE / KEERAI MOR KOOTU RECIPE
- 3 cup Any greens / Amaranth Leaves / harive soppu, cleaned and chopped
- 1 cup Buttermilk /sour curd
For grinding / Masala
- 1/2 cup coconut, grated
- 3-5 nos Green Chilli
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds/ Jeera
- 2 tsp Besan /Bengal Gram Flour, (used for thickening)
- 1/4 tsp Haldi /turmeric
- Salt to taste
For the seasoning
- 1 tsp Oil
- 3/4 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1-2 nos Red Chilli, broken
- few Curry Leaves
- a pinch Asafoetida/ hing
- Wash and rinse amaranth leaf / any that you are using . Chop it finely. If the stem is too tender , you can chop them along with leaves.
- Cook greens with a cup of water , till greens are nicely cooked . Mash the greens well.
- Grind the ingredients given under grinding to a very smooth paste. .. ie grind coconut ,cumin, chilli , salt , turmeric , besan .. along with little water .
- Add the ground coconut paste and curd/ buttermilk as needed.
- Mix everything well and bring it to a gentle boil .
- Heat a tsp of oil, add mustard seeds, when it splutters add red chillies , hing and curry leaves.Pour the seasoning over the mor keerai.
- Healthy and nutritious Amaranth majjige huli / mor keerai kootu is ready. Enjoy with rice.
- Always finely chop the greens as it will give majjige huli a great texture .
- Don't over boil ... just a gentle boil else it will become watery.