The recipe I am talking about today is “Aloo bhujia Sabzi / Bihari style dry aloo sabzi “. This North Indian style Aloo sabzi is a simple and delicious dry dish. The main flavour for this aloo bhujia subzi comes from the flavour of carom seeds. Ajwain infused potato roast is simply irresistible.It’s a kids pleasure recipe too .Awesome combination as sabzi for chapati/roti/poori/rice.
Aloo ki sabzi is a popular side dish that is prepared in every Indian household.There are many ways to prepare this side dish. This is my mum’s recipe and takes me down the memory lane!My dad was in a transferable job.There are different pros and cons of job relocation and major advantage is exposure to new locales. This aloo bhujia subzi recipe , my mom learnt in Bihar from one of her Bihari neighbours and was an instant hit at home.This used to be my favorite side dish as a kid and i used to pester her almost everyday to pack them in my lunchbox. She also used make them for our long train journeys as a combo with chapathi /poori. It would remain fresh even after 2-3 days. I prepared this sabji yesterday and served with pulkhas. Both works wonder and we had a filling and satisfying dinner.Quick to make and absolutely delightful!So here is my recipe of the simple stir fry of potatoes flavored with aromatic Indian spices (since original source of recipe was a Bihari neighbour , i assume its Bihari style )
Please note : this recipe has been updated with new pics on 22/3/ 2018 . Originally published on 19 nov 2013
ALOO BHUJIA SABZI
- 4 Large potato
- 2 Large onion
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp Jeera / Cumin seeds
- 3/4 - 1 tsp Ajwain seeds / Carom
- 1 Tejpatta /bay leaf
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder, ( u can increase if you want spicy )
- 1 tsp Garam Masala powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 - 2 tbsp Oil
- to taste Salt
- Wash and cut the potato into thin slices.You need not peel the potatoes.Slice the onion
- Heat oil n a pan/wok, add cumin seeds and tejpatta,allow spluttering.
Now add potato and onion slices. Saute for 2-3 mins.
Add salt , turmeric powder, red chilli powder and ajwain . Mix well. Cover and cook in medium to slow flame until potato is half cooked takes around 5-7 minutes in slow flame, stir in intervals.
- When the potato is about 90 % cooked , add garam masala powder .Mix well . Keep the flame on sim and continue to cook for few more minutes to get little crisp texture .
Serve with phulka/chapathi / poori/thepla/ any type of flat bread /rice. I love eating it as such too. Do try this recipe and you will realize how sometimes a simple dish can taste so divine,Happy cooking!!!
- Do not add water to potatoes while cooking.It will change the taste. Instead add some salt to the veggies while cooking. Due to this onion n potato will leave some moisture n help in cooking.