Here comes a classic Karnataka delicacy,” Pineapple Gojju / Pineapple Menaskai ” , a mandatory dish in all functions across South Karnataka especially for Brahmins . English equivalent for this mouthwatering dish could be ” Tangy Spicy Pineapple Curry“. This dish is a real treat to all those who love the combination of Sweet ,Sour & Spice..Slurp !!! A great accompaniment with Roti /plain rice /dosa /Idly.
Basically Gojju / Menaskai is a curry with ground spices and some boiled or stir fried vegetables in it.Addition of sesame seeds gives a nice distinguished aroma to this curry ,making it along with coconut, star ingredients.Choice of veggies can vary,but the basic masala remains same , just a few small changes here and there thats it. For today pineapple is the chosen one.Over the time i’ll share some more..
Preparing pineapple gojju is very simple.Just chop pineapple and cook it in a spicy coconut sauce.And the end result would be a spicy tangy sweet curry , an absolute delight to your taste buds.I added grapes just to give some more fruity flavor. You can completely omit it if you don’t have them in hand.Do try this, im sure you l keep licking your fingers and make your plate clean….
Check Out the Video recipe here :
- 1 Cup Ripened Pineapple, (You can add more also if you like )
- 1/2 Cup Green Grapes, (Optional )
- Small Orange size Jaggery, ( Can + or - this quantity )
- lemon size Tamarind, ( Adjust according to the sourness of pineapple )
- Salt, - As per taste
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Haldi
For Grinding (Masala)
- 1 cup coconut, grated
- 2 tsp Black Gram Urad Dal
- 1 tsp Bengal Gram Chana Dal
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds methi
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds Jeera
- 1.5 - 2 tsps Sesame seeds/ Til ( Black / white
- 4 - 8 Red Chillies, ( As per your spice level ; i add 6)
- or two a pinch Hing
- few Curry Leaves
For Tempering :
- 2 - 3 tbsps Coconut Oil /Ghee / any oil, ( Coconut oil preferred )
- 1 tsp Mustard
- a pinch Hing
- a few Curry Leaves
- Peel the outer skin of the pineapple and cut into bite size pieces.Wash grapes .Soak tamarind in warm water.
- In a pan or vessel , add little oil.When its hot add turmeric and pineapple pcs.Saute it for 2-3 mins. Add Grapes. Saute them together for another 2-3 mins. This step enhances the flavors from the fruits.
- Next to the sauteed fruit pcs, add water ,salt,tamarind and jaggery.Close a lid and cook .
- Meanwhile in a small pan add few drops of oil.Add all the ingredients mentioned under masala except coconut and sesame.Roast them in medium low flame till red chillies becomes crisp and dal turns golden color.Add coconut to that and just saute it , may be for 1 min.Transfer all the ingredients to a mixer jar.
- Next,dry roast sesame seeds in the same pan till it turns golden. Add it to the mixer jar containing other roasted masala ingredients. Once its little cooled , add little water and make a very smooth paste.
- Add this ground paste to cooked pineapple and grapes mixture and mix well.Cook this in a medium flame till the gravy starts boiling.
- Reduce the flame to sim, add a *tbsb of raw coconut oil and allow it to boil for another 8-10 mins. Stir in between.Let the gravy thicken. *REFER NOTES
- Season with mustard,hing and curry leaves.Switch off .
- Serve pineapple menaskai hot / warm with plain Rice / roti / dosa / Idli .
- You can substitute pineapple with raw mango / Hog plum/ dry raisins / bitter gourd / ladies finger/ Capsicum / orange peels. But for ladies finger ,bitter gourd n orange peels u ve to roast it well initially n also increase tamarind quantity. Masala and rest of the things remains same.
- * The tip of adding raw coconut oil while boiling , i got it from a cook who is a regular in my home for all functions. He was right ,It takes it to a new level.Actually ,he adds more than a tbsp but atleast to go near to that taste i add just a tbsp. If you want you can increase the qty or omit it completely.
- Another tip , the cook gave me was to boil this gravy well in a low flame. The more you boil the more tasty it becomes .The consistency also thickens. Boiling it well also increases its shelf life. It does not spoil for a week if refrigerated and stays good without fridge for 2 days.
- Basically menaskai will be tangy ,sweet n spicy. So to get the authentic taste add more jaggery , tamarind n chilli. But you can vary it depending on your pref.