Tomato Gojju Recipe with Step by step photos | How to do Tomato Eerulli Gojju | Karnataka style Tomato Eerulli Gojju | Easy Tomato Onion Curry | Thakalli Gojju
Tomato Eerulli Gojju / Tomato Onion Curry – is one of the most simplest , easiest and very very tasty side dish made from tomatoes and Onions in less than 15 minutes !! Perfect blend of spiciness , tartness and a tinge of sweetness makes it an excellent side dish with anything & everything . Be it chapathi / Ubbu Rotti / Dosa/ Rice etc. .. this gojju tastes super yum !
CHECK OUT THE VIDEO HERE :
ABOUT THE RECIPE :
Tomato Onion Gojju is one of the most simplest curry from Karnataka that even a beginner can make and end result is absolute lip smacking . One can relish this tasty gojju with chapathi , rotti , rice or even use as a stuffing with bread to make sandwich . Such a versatile dish it is .
This Onion Tomato Gojju is perfect for busy days/ no mood to cook days /don’t have any veggies in stock . It is infact one of the favorite side dish in my home .. be it with rice or chapathi .
TOMATO ONION GOJJU RECIPE WITH STEP BY STEP PHOTOS :
Wash and chop onion & tomato into small pieces.
Heat oil in a pan. Add Mustard , Urad dal , Channa dal . Let they splutter.
Once they splutter add Hing , broken red chilli and curry leaves.
Add chopped green chilli and chopped Onion . Sauté 2-3 mins . Let Onion turn soft and translucent.
Once Onions are translucent , add chopped tomatoes. Sauté 1-2 mins.
Later add salt to taste , jaggery , haldi and 1-2 cup of water . Combine everything .
Cover and cook for 5-6 mins or till tomatoes are cooked soft.
Once tomatoes are cooked soft , add rasam powder , mash it lightly . Mashing them a bit gives good texture to the Curry. Taste test . If in case water is too much in excess , let it evaporate a bit. Gojju should be pulpy not too dry.
Lastly add chopped Coriander leaves.
That’s it tasty tomato eerulli gojju or tomato onion curry is ready .
FEW POINTS TO NOTE WHILE MAKING TOMATO GOJJU :
- Use juicy pulpy ripe tomatoes .
- This curry tastes best with a tinge of sweetness , spiciness and tartness from green tomatoes . So balance the spices accordingly and don’t skip jaggery.
- If tomatoes are not sour enough, you can add little tamarind pulp for extra tanginess.
- I have added hing here for extra flavor . As an alternative , you could skip and add few garlic flakes or few methi seeds.
- If you want can add 1/2 tsp garam masala powder for extra flavor.
- If you skip adding water and just fry onion tomato , you can keep them without fridge for minimum 3-4 days making it prefect to carry for a train journey.
- You can check Rasam Powder recipe here
Tomato Eerulli Gooju / Tomato Onion Curry
- 4 medium size Tomato
- 2 medium size Onion
- 2 nos Green Chilli
- few Curry leaves
- few sprigs Coriander leaves
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric / Haldi
- 2 tsp Rasam Powder
- 1-2 tsp Jaggery
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- 1 tsp Channa Dal
- 1-2 no Red Chilli , broken
- a pinch Hing / Asafoetida
- Wash and chop onion & tomato into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan. Temper Mustard , Urad dal , Channa dal . Let they splutter. Add Hing , broken red chilli and curry leaves.
- Add chopped green chilli and chopped Onion . Sauté 2-3 mins .
- Once Onions are translucent , add chopped tomatoes. Sauté 1-2 mins.
- Later add salt to taste , jaggery , haldi and 1-2 cup of water .Combine everything .
- Cover and cook for 5-6 mins or till tomatoes are cooked soft.
- Add rasam powder , mash it lightly . Curry would have got nice texture. Taste test .
- Lastly add chopped Coriander leaves.
- Enjoy tomato eerulli gojju or tomato onion curry with rice / chapathi / roti .