Looking for a break from your normal dosa / idli / upma / poha / cereals ? Want to cook something easy,tasty and different for your breakfast ? Here’s an instant yummy dish for you all that calls for no pre-planning,soaking or fermenting . That’s Karnataka Special ” Rava Rotti / Sooji Roti / Sajjige Rotti “. Serve it with some homemade butter or chutney or relish it just plain, they taste just yum !!!
In my home we all love rava rotti and i often make them as they are : healthy ; instant breakfast option and most important a very good dish to empty off the left over sour curd.There are many variations of preparing this dish . You can make it plain , sweetish or spicy .It can be pepped up by adding some cucumber or onion or carrot or your choice of veggie.Remember my rava toast that i had shared few months before ? The topping the i had used there is same as that of rava rotti just that here we need to make the batter more watery .The semolina batter is made little thicker than dosa and a thin circle is patted / spread on a hot tawa .With practice you can make thin rottis. Do try friends, i am sure you will love it….
RAVA ROTTI / SOOJI ROTI
- 2 Cups Upma Rava /Semolina
- 1/4 cup sour curd /buttermilk
- 3 - 4 tbsp coconut, Grated
- 1 tsp Cumin /Jeera
- 1 big onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, grated ( optional )
- 2 Green Chilli, finely chopped
- 1 inch Ginger, finely chopped or grated
- a handfull Coriander leaves, finely chopped
- few Curry Leaves, finely chopped
- Salt, taste
- Water As required
- Oil to roast
- Add onion, coconut,green chilli,ginger, coriander, Curry leaves,cumin seeds and salt in a wide mixing bowl.Mix it nicely by crushing onions with your hands for few minutes. This brings out more flavors from them.
- Add rava and sour curd to it.Add water and mix it nicely to form a batter.Let rava reast for 10- 15 mins.This will help rava to fluff up a bit and also you will observe that rava would have taken in all the liquids and the batter would have thickened.Add some water or curd to loosen the batter. Make the batter slightly thicker than idli batter .The dough should be such that its easy to spread / pat with hands.
- Keep a pan on the flame. Sprinkle few drops of oil on the tava and spread all over the pan.
- There are two ways in which you can spread the rotti on the tawa :
- Method 1 : Take a handful of rava dough and spread on the tava with your fingers and make a round dosa shape.Wet your hands in between with water to ease the patting and also to prevent your fingers fromgetting hot. Alternatively if you are finding it tough to manage it with your hands , you can use the back of the spoon/ladle gently help the batter to spread out using a circular motion.
- Method 2 : Grease a plastic sheet / aluminum foil / parchment paper /banana leaf /wet muslin cloth.Take an orange sized dough and pat it evenly with your hands to a medium thin pancake.Wet your hands in between with water to ease the patting.Heat the griddle.When its hot ,put the sheet on the griddle ( rotti side facing the griddle ). Cook the rotti along with the sheet for 30 sec and then slowly remove the foil.Rotti gets transferred from sheet to the griddle.
- Once you have patted rottis using method 1 or 2 ,cook them medium heat.Pour some oil all over the rotti.Cover and cook till it becomes slightly brown in colour. Then flip the rotti and continue cooking for about a minute or so till the rotti becomes crispy.
- Rava rotti is ready to be served. Serve it coconut chutney / chutney powder + yoghurt / chutney powder + butter . Enjoy them as your hearty weekend breakfast / Snack / Dinner .
- You can use other veggies too like dill leaves / onion less ( with more coconut ) / capsicum /grated cucumber etc.
- Always grease the surface before patting the rotti also wet your hands with water in between the process to help you pat them evenly .
- Use sour curd to this. That gives a nice taste .
- If you want you can use fine semolina/ choroti rava. Then skip the 10 minutes soaking time