RAW MANGO SAMBAR RECIPE WITH STEP BY STEP PHOTOS | HOW TO DO MANGO SAMBAR | DRUMSTICK RAW MANGO SAMBAR | MANGA SAMBAR
” Raw Mango Sambar recipe ” – a great lip-smacking dish made from raw mango, tuvar dal and few spices which is a treat to your taste buds. It’s tangy , spicy , delicious and bursting with flavors. A great accompaniment with plain rice / dosa / Idly.
Now that it’s the season for mango and market is all flooded with it .. there is something cooking with mango every other day. Some of the other raw mango dishes that you can try are raw mango rasam, raw mango gojju , raw mango dal , raw mango kadi etc
Raw mango Sambar is bas
0ically a comforting Sambar where in chunks of Raw mango are cooked with tuvar dal , spiced with sambar powder and pepped with some tempering , onion etc . For additional taste , few drumstick and / brinjal pieces can be used ..makes a great combo in sambar. If you are bored of eating plain normal kadhi and looking for a change… then you must try this one…
Few Points to consider while making Raw Mango Sambar :
- Dice mangoes into little bigger chunks.
- Make sure not to over cook raw mango . We don’t want it to get mushy .
- Use very little tamarind , approx half the quantity that we normally use for other sambar .
- Adding drumstick is purely optional . You can make plain raw mango sambar too . Addition of drumstick however enhances taste.Along with drumsticks you can also add few pieces of brinjal.
- Adding Onion is also optional. You can also use shallots .
- Addition of coconut is purely optional . You can make without it too.
- If you have ready Sambar powder can use it for making Sambar. Else , I have showed you how to do freshly roasted masala .
Raw Mango Sambar
- 1 Medium size Raw Mango / Mavinakayi
- 1/3 cup Toor Dal / split pigeon pea / Togari Bele
- 2 Drumstick, optional
- 1 Medium size Onion , diced
- 1 Medium size Tomato, diced
- 1 no Green Chilli , slit
- 3-4 tbsp Coconut, optional
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric / Haldi
- small marble sized Tamarind
- small marble sized Jaggery
- few Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
Masala for Sambar
- 1.5 tsp Coriander seeds / Dhania
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds / Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds / Methi
- 3/4 tsp Urad Dal
- 1/4 tsp Channa Dal / Bengal fram
- 5-7 nos Red Chillies, use a amix of both byadgi and guntur chillies
- alternative or instead of roasting fresh masala
- 2 tsp Sambar Powder
- 2-3 tsp Oil / Ghee
- 1 tsp Mustard
- pinch Hing / Asafoetida
- Wash and add around 2 cup of water to Tuvar Dal and pressure cook with little haldi for 3-4 whistles. Allow the pressure to release. Mash it once done and keep aside
Wash Raw mango and dice into little big pieces . No need to de skin .
If you are using sambar powder , skip this step . Else this is how masala is roasted . In a small kadai , add tsp of oil and add all the ingredients mentioned under masala one by one . i.e urad dal , channa dal , dhania , jeera , methi and red chilli .
Saute them on low medium flame till crisp and aromatic.
Once cool , add the roasted ingredients to the mixer . Add coconut , salt to taste and tamarind. Grind smooth . If using sambar powder , same process , replace roasted ingredients with sambar powder and grind smooth.
Ground masala for sambar is ready . Keep them aside .
In a kadai, heat oil and splutter , mustard seeds , pinch of hing and curry leaves.
Add onions and green chilli. Saute Onion for 1-2 mins till they are translucent .
Next add chopped tomatoes, drumstick, haldi and saute for another min. No need to fry till tomatoes are mushy.
Now , add water and allow it to boil. Close a lid and cook till drumsticks are cooked 75 %.
Once drumsticks are cooked about 75 % , add raw mangoes and cook for just 3-4 mins . Note that , raw mangoes gets cooked very fast and we don't want it to get mushy .
Check if mangoes are done. They should be cooked soft , yet retain shape.
At this point , add cooked mashed dal , ground masala and small piece of jaggery . Add water , mix gently and adjust the consistency.
Simmer the sambar, add few curry leaves and let it boil for 3-4 mins.
Serve Raw Mango sambar with Rice . Enjoy .