Today i have for you all a popular restaurant style side dish -” Kadai Vegetable Gravy recipe ” . This dish is typically served in kadai in restaurants . Making restaurant style kadai vegetable at home is not difficult at all. Do try this simple gravy once .. i am sure you will love it …. Its delicious , full of flavors and spicy…
The key to the best Kadai vegetable lies in the freshly roasted spices, perfectly cooked veggies and capsicum. Kadai vegetable recipe that I am sharing today is adapted from a cookbook and is exactly similar to kadai paneer recipe I had shared earlier. It could be made dry, semi-dry or gravy version. I usually make it semi gravy or gravy style. The cream is added at the end while making this gravy. It gives a nice rich flavour to the dish. If you want you can add some more cream on top at the time of serving as well. Though this recipe calls for mixed veggies .. taste-wise it is fully different to Veg jalfrezi So what are you waiting for .. Do try this restaurant-style Kadai vegetable right in your home and be ready to receive accolades….
RESTAURANT STYLE KADAI VEGETABLE RECIPE / MIXED VEGETABLE KADAI MASALA RECIPE
- 2 cup Mixed Vegetables ( Beans ,Carrot , cauliflower, peas ,babycorn etc )
- 2 nos capsicum, diced
- 2 nos onion, ( 1 diced + 1 chopped )
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds Jeera
- 1 Bay leaf / Tej patta
- 1 tsp Kasuri Methi /dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 tsp Garam Masala, - ( optional )
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Haldi
- 1/4 tsp Brown sugar / regular sugar
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Fresh cream malai
- 2-3 tbsp Butter / butter + Oil mixed
To saute and grind ( Onion - Tomato paste) :
- 2 medium sized Tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 1/4 inch Ginger piece
- 3-5 flakes Garlic
- 2 nos Green Chillies
For Kadai masala:
- 1 1/2 tbsp Coriander Seeds Dhania
- 3-6 nos Red Chillies, ( depending on your spiciness )
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon
- 2-3 nos Cloves/ Lavang
- 1 no cardamom elaichi
- Clean, wash and chop veggies length wise. Blanch them in hot water to ease faster cooking .
- Dice onion and capsicum .
To make onion - tomato paste :
- Add a tsp of oil and add the ingredients under 'to saute and grind' and saute till tomatoes turns little mushy.
- Cool down and grind it a fine paste.
To make Kadai Masala:
- Dry roast coriander seeds,red chillies,cinnamon ,cloves and elaichi until they turn slightly brown and starts releasing the aroma.
- Cool them and grind it in mixer to a coarse powder .
Now Time to assemble everything and prepare the yummy kadai masala gravy :
- Heat butter in a kadai . Add cumin seeds and bay leaf. Let cumin seeds splutter.Add onion and saute till slightly browned.
- Next add the tomato paste and saute well for about 4-5 mins or till raw smell goes and color changes.
- Meanwhile , as the tomato onion paste is getting cooked , take another pan add little oil,toast capsicum and onion for 2mins,Set aside.Retain crunchiness .
- Once the raw smell of the tomato - onion paste goes and they start leaving oil , add haldi , kasoori methi , kadai masala , garam masala ,salt and sugar .Saute for 2 mins .
- Add blanched veggies . Add very little water and cook on low flame for 3-4 mins. . Let the veggies take in flavors .
- Add sauted onions and capsicum .Finally add in fresh cream, chopped coriander leaves and give a quick mix , Boil once and switch off .
- Yummy kadai vegetable gravy is ready to serve . Serve with phuka / chapathi / naan / kulch / pulao etc .
- Maintain the crunchiness of diced capsicum and onion .
- The same recipe can be adapted to make kadai paneer or other kadai recipes .
- You can add some paneer cubes to this recipe also .
ChitraNovember 14, 2017 at 10:07 pm
I like your recipes being from Karnataka myself. The pictures look delicious as well. However, don’t take this as a personal criticism, but the recipes look very time consuming. I would suggest if you can, a category for recipes that take 30 minutes or less would be of great help for your visitors who are busy professionals but still want to have a healthy, home cooked meal that doesn’t take a lot of grinding and cooking.