Though we all like variety of food ..love eating in restaurants…end of the day if you ask anyone,nothing can beat simple home cooked food.Today’s post ” Snake Gourd Kootu ” is one such dish made from Snake Gourd and lentils,that is very popular in South India. Snake gourd kootu is known as padvalakai kootu in Kannada and Pudalangai Kootu in Tamil .Its a delicious alternate to sambar is packed with protein, vitamins and minerals and is easy to make.Tastes perfect with hot rice accompanied with some ghee and papad . Snake gourd is high in water content and has a cooling effect on body. It is also a low calorie veggie and hence good for weight management. I had earlier shared cabbage kootu and mixed veg kootu , which is entirely different from snake gourd kootu both recipe wise as well taste wise.And also its a no onion garlic dish . Addition of pepper gives a unique flavor to this dish . So are you ready to jot down the recipe of snake gourd kootu recipe … here you go …
SNAKE GOURD KOOTU / PADAVALAKAI ( PUDALANGAI ) KOOTU
- 2 medium size Snake Gourd / Padvalakai
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric / Haldi powder
- 1/4 cup Cooked split pigeon peas / tur dal
- Salt to taste
To Grind ( Masala )
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds / jeera seeds
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper corns
- 3-4 No Red Chilli
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- few Curry Leaves
- 1 tbsp Oil/ Ghee
- Cut snake gourd vertical , scoop out seeds and dice into small pieces as shown in pic
- Add a pinch of turmeric , required amount of water and keep snake gourd to cook . Let it cook 60 % . Don't overcook
- Meanwhile , in a pan or small kadai , saute cumin seeds , pepper and red chillies . When chillies are crisp switch off and allow to cool .
- Grind it smooth along with coconut and required water .
- Add cooked mashed dal and salt to the partially cooked snake gourd and allow it to boil for 4-5 mins .
- Later add ground masala , required amount of water and mix . Simmer and bring to boil .
- Now heat oil in kadai and temper with the ingredients mentioned and add it to the snake gourd kootu and stir well.
- That's it simple Snake gourd kooty is ready to serve. Enjoy it with hot rice drizzled with few drops of ghee
- Don't skip pepper
- Typically tamarind is not added to this curry . however if you want can add little