What does comfort food mean to you ? For me its something that i’ve grown up eating,something that rekindles my childhood memories,something that comforts me…. in brief simple home cooked food.Though i love eating in restaurants…end of the day if you ask me,nothing can beat simple home cooked food. Today’s post is one such comforting traditional Madhwa Brahmin specialty dish from Karnataka — Huli Tovve . This Huli tovve is one of the must in Bangalore – Mysore traditional function meal .
“Tovve” in Kannada basically means Dal and ” Huli ” is basically Sambar / something tangy … So Huli tovve together is is basically an alternate to sambar . Huli Tovve tastes perfect with hot rice accompanied with some ghee . And also its a no onion garlic dish . Spices like cinnamon, cloves , kapok buds , poppy seeds brings a unique flavour and aroma to this sambar . The consistency of huli tovve will be thicker than the usual sambar . The common veggies used are Ridge gourd / chayote squash / yellow pumpkin / mixed veggies . Today i am showing the step by step method to make huli tovve using ridge gourd .. you can use any veggie and the method remains same . Huli tovve + Majji ge huli + ambode .. one deadly combo . You must try it once if you haven’t . So are you ready to jot down the recipe Karnataka Style Huli Tovve recipe … here you go …
HULI TOVVE RECIPE / KARNATAKA STYLE RIDGE GOURD SAMBAR RECIPE
- 1 small cup Toor dal or pigeon peas
- 1 large Ridge gourd, peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp Jaggery
- 2 tbsp Tamarind pulp
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- Salt to taste
For the spice mix:
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Channa dal or bengal gram
- 1 tbsp Black Gram /split Urad Dal
- 3 tbsp Coriander Seeds /Dhania
- 1-2 piece Cinnamon sticks /dalchini
- 4-5 Cloves/ Lavang
- 3-4 Dried kapok buds / Shalmali / marathi moggu, (optional but preffered )
- 1 tsp Poppy seeds / khus khus
- 4 tbsp Freshly grated coconut
- 5-8 Broken red Chillies
For the seasoning:
- 1-2 tsp Ghee / oil, ghee preferred
- 1 tsp Mustard
- a pinch Hing /Asafoetida
- few Curry leaf
- Wash and roughly peel the ridge gourd to remove sharp ridges. You need not peel the skin completely. The removed peel can be used to do ridge gourd chutney .Cut the ridge gourd into chunks. Add a pinch of turmeric , water and keep to cook . No need to make mushy . Cook 60-70 % .
- Clean and Wash Toordal . Add a big pinch of haldi and pressure cook them together for 3-4 whistles . Mash it nicely .
- Take a small kadai or pan . Add a tsp of oil and fry all the ingredients under ‘to grind’ category except poppy seeds and coconut. When done , switch off and add poppy seeds . Toss few times .Do not fry coconut.
- Grind the fried masala with coconut and little water to make smooth paste.
- Transfer cooked dal , ground masala paste, tamarind pulp , jaggery and salt to the cooked ridge gourd. Add water to get desired consistency. Bring huli tovve to boil . Taste test
- Now heat oil in kadai and temper with the ingredients mentioned and add it to the Huli tovve and stir well.
- That's it simple Huli Tovve is ready to serve. Enjoy it with hot rice drizzled with few drops of ghee .
- In the above , i have shown the method of making huli tovve using ridge gourd . Instead you can used mixed veggies / chayote sqaush ( chow chow / seeme badnekayi ) / Pumpkin etc .
- The masala used for grinding is basically Bisi bele bath powder masala .. so instead of roasting fresh .. if you already have bisi bele bath powder ready .. you can use that ..