THAMBITTU RECIPE | HOW TO DO KARNATAKA STYLE THAMBITTU | SHIVARATRI SPECIAL TAMBITTU RECIPE | AKKI TAMBIITU UNDE | RICE LADDU
Thambittu is a very traditional sweet from Karnataka made especially for festivals like Shivaratri, Nagarpanchami , gauri pooja etc as neivedhyam. Loaded with the goodness of peanuts, sesame, kopra , jaggery and very minimum ghee .. this laddu is not only very healthy but very tasty.
There are various ways one makes Thambittu. Be it from rice, rice flour, wheat flour, fried gram etc , the taste and method also slightly varies based on the version of thambittu.
Traditionally thambittu made on a festive day are shaped as lamp / diya (deepa) and are called ‘Thambittu Deepa‘. Aarti is performed to the lord using these diyas. The laddus gets a nice smoky roasted flavour which are later served as prasada among friends and family.
You will be happy to know that the procedure for preparing these thambittu unde is very simple. You need not worry about the consistency of the syrup. Initially, If you spend 15-20 minutes for the preparation of flour, then it can be prepared instantly. Enjoy preparing these delicious laddus.
Check out the Thambittu Video Here :
Few Points to note while making Thambittu Recipe :
- As a short cut method, instead of roasting and grinding rice, you can directly use ready-made rice flour. Roast them and use them.
- You can add 2-3 tsp of Khus khus ( poppy seeds ). Roast and add.
- While making jaggery syrup, do not boil them for long and make a thick syrup. We just need to melt jaggery and make syrup like.
- Make the laddus when its still warm, else they egt harden and it will be difficult to make laddus.
- We don’t have to use a lot of ghee , just 2 tbsp is enough.
- 1 Cup Rice, sona masoori / any rice
- 1/2 cup Groundnut / peanut
- 1/2 Cup Fried gram / puttani
- 1/2 cup Dry Coconut / Kopra
- 1/4 cup White sesame seeds / ellu
- 1.5 cup Jaggery
- 1 cup Water
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 3-4 nos Cardamom / Elaichi
- In a wide pan , dry roast rice for 2-3 mins.
- Let they get crisp and aromatic. Keep aside to cool.
- To the same pan, add peanuts. Dry roast on low flame till they are crisp and the skin starts to separate.
- Once the peanuts are crisp, keep them aside. Once they are cool,deskin. Keep aside.
- To the same tawa, add putani and roast on low flame till crisp. Keep them aside.
- Next, dry roast dry coconut/ kopra for 1-2 mins. Let they get crisp. Keep aside.
- Lastly, dry roast sesame seeds on low flame.Let they get crisp and start spluttering.Keep them aside.
- Time to blend and mix all the roasted ingredients one by one. To a mixer jar, add rosted peanuts and roasted fried gram. Note that they should be blended only after cooling.Blend to a coarse powder.
- Transfer the coarse power to a mixing bowl.
- To the same mixing bowl, add roasted kopra and sesame seeds.
- Next, make rice powder.To the mixer jar, add roasted cooled rice and 3-4 nos cardamom. Blend smooth, to get a fine powder.
- Using a siever, seive to get a finer rice powder. Add it to the mixing bowl.
- Combine all the dry ingredients well.
- Add hot ghee and combine well such that ghee gets incorporated to the entire mixture.
- Time to prepare jaggery syrup.In a tawa, take 2 cup jaggery. Add 1 cup water. Mix well.Dissolve the jaggery on a low medium flame.
- Boil for 2-3 mins and make a jaggery syrup. We need not make any thread consistency type syrup, just a light syrup like consistency is good.
- Filter the jaggery syrup and add to the flour mixture.
- Using a spatula, mix everything well till everything is combined well. Let the mixture cool a bit such that its comfortable enough to handle.As it cools, you will notice that ghee -syrup gets absorbed and the mixture gets a bit dry. Take care not to cool the mixture a lot as it hardens.
- Time to prepare laddus. Take a handful of dough, roll smooth and shape like laddu. Continue and finsh off making all the laddus.
- That's it very tasty and healthy Tambittu unde is ready . Store them in an airtight container and enjoy. Stays good for couple of weeks.