ALOO TIKKI RECIPE WITH STEP BY STEP PHOTOS | HOW TO DO ALOO TIKKI | POTATO TIKKI | ALOO PATTIES
Aloo Tikki / Aloo Patties – a delicious popular Indian street food made with boiled potatoes and few spices. It’s crispy , tempting and super easy to make . If you have boiled potatoes in hand , making this snack hardly takes 15-20 mins. Enjoy them with some ketchup / mint chutney or dunk in some yoghurt topped with chutneys and some onions. Whichever way , you are gonna love it !!
Check out a quick video here :
Is there anyone who do not love Indian street food ? Be it bonda , Samosa , kachori , Pani puri , pav bhaji etc .. there is always some extra space in tummy for them .. one can never have enough of it ..isn’t it ? Just can’t resist chaat. You Can enjoy this Aloo Tikki as Aloo tikki Chaat too .
Aloo tikki ( Aloo – Potato ; Tikki – Pattis) is one such popular North Indian Street food made with potatoes – the hero of the dish. It’s basically boiled mashed potatoes flavored with few spices and later deep fried / shallow fried / pan fried.
There are two ways Aloo tikki can be made . One with stuffing and one without . Usually in North India paneer stuffed version / green peas stuffing / channa dal version is popular .Today’s recipe is a simple and easy version without stuffing but the end result makes the crispiest and tastiest tikkis . i am sure form my pic and video you can make out how perfect they have turned .. crispy from outside and soft from inside.
FEW POINTS TO NOTE TO MAKE CRISPY ALOO TIKKI RECIPE :
- Do not leave boiled potato in the hot water after it’s cooked . This will lead to potatoes absorbing excess water and becoming soggy . So always make sure , once cooker releases pressure, drain out potatoes nicely .
- In spite of taking precautions , if your potato has absorbed little extra water , try to drain them by placing them on a tissue paper or kitchen towel for some time so that extra water goes.
- Make sure potatoes are well cooled before adding our binding agent and other ingredients.Else the dough will be turn soft and sticky.
- A binding agent is very important to make these tikkis crisp . Here I have used rice flour as binding agent and for crispyness . If you don’t have rice flour you can substitute them with Corn Flour + soked thin poha .
Let’s now see how to do Aloo tikki .. here you go …
Aloo Tikki / Aloo Patties
- 5-6 medium size Potatoes
- 4 tbsp Rice Flour
- 3-4 nos Green Chillies , Finely Chopped ( +/- ) based on your preference
- 1 inch Ginger, Finely chopped or grated
- few Mint leaves, chopped
- few Coriander leaves , chopped
- 1 tsp Red chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp Aamchoor
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala powder
- 1/2 tsp Kala Namak / Black salt
- 1-2 tsp Salt
- In a cooker, take around 5-6 potatoes . Add around 2-3 cup water and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles , till the potatoes are well cooked . Once cooker is cooled ,take out the cooked potatoes from water and allow to cool.
- Once potatoes are cooled , peel the potatoes.
- Grate or mash the potatoes nicely. Note that ,Potatoes should be nicely cooled and shouldn't be watery .
- To the mashed potatoes , add all the other mentioned ingredients one by one ie Rice flour , Green chilli , Grated ginger , Chopped Mint leaves , chopped coriander leaves , chilli flakes , aamchoor , kala namak , garam masala powder and salt to taste .
- Combine everything nicely to form a non sticky dough. Very important, If sticky, add few more tsp rice flour. Sticky or soggy dough will make soft aloo tikki.Taste test the aloo dough .
- Divide the dough into equal portions. Flatten them between your palms and roll lightly along the edges to smoothen the crack . Don't make too thin or thick tikki . they should be of medium thickness.
- Once they are ready, refrigerate them for 10-15 minutes. This helps them to set .
- Place the tikkis on a greased hot tawa, drizzle few tsp of oil along the edges of the tikki. Keep the flame on medium low and let the base get firm and crisp. You can use non stick tawa or cast iron tawaPlease not to cook in low medium flame only to get a crisp texture.
- Once , the base is cooked and crisp ,gently flip to cook other side . Fry both the sides crispy and golden.
- crispy and golden .. it's ready
- Enjoy hot aloo tikki with some mint chutney / sweet chutney / ketchup . You can also make a tasty aloo tikki chaat out of it or place them between a burger or sandwich .